> Unusal Languages--need help!
Rebel_A96
post Apr 14 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #1

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 884

Okay where do I begin? Hello all--I'm in the process of writing out scenes of a story that's been in my head for quite some time. I haven't quite started writing the story as there are still things that need to be done beforehand. But I thought I would ask this question to all of you as a friend gave me this idea as there are so many people from other countries here.

See my characters go on a quest to try and find some gems that can save their universe from the evil characters. On three planets they must say the magic sentences and will be able to recover that specific gem. The three phrases are: "Build it up again!" "Light up the Universe!" and "Fight the good fight!"

I was wondering if any of you knew of some languages (or perhaps your own native tongue) that most people haven't heard of to translate my sentences into. Or if you don't know of any to maybe have suggestions of what rare languages are out there that I can find.

Thank you all very much for reading this....maybe....strange request. smile.gif

--------------------
Let's start at the top shall we? The Sith Wars, Palpatine's Empire, Thrawn's siege, Vong invasion, Second Galactic Civil War, I could go on. Point is the enemy hasn't vanished and we're fighting new people/aliens/species every day.

This has always been a Force War and we, as non-Jedi, will still help rid the universe of their evil. That's on one side of the galaxy, on the other our friends: Luke, Han, Leia, Wedge, Iella, Corran, Mirax, etc are still trying to keep the peace. They've thwarted Abeltoth, but others will soon come their way...and ours.

We shall meet these enemies on both sides of the galaxy head on to defeat them. And when we do meet them, it'll be with the same determination, hope, and perseverance all of us have always shown.

None of this is easy as people/aliens/pets/animals are injured or die every day. But to keep the galaxy safe, we'll do all we can to win, for both sides of the galaxy. To ensure peace, we will keep fighting.

Wish us luck, wish us the Force, and pray for us as we'll need it going up against these formidable foes.

(Have been playing SW for over 17yrs--as of 2014--and I also follow the books. I will continue this role playing until I no longer can.) Also I just wanted to thank all who answered my threads and have chatted with me throughout the years; all of you are fun, awesome, caring, friendly, smart, (etc) and are my good/best friends. I will miss talking to you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mara J Skywalker
post Apr 14 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #2

Steel Poster
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Patron
Member No.: 109

what about gaelic ?

I don't know anything about it, but looks nice to read.

--------------------
"Do or do not.There is no try"

"I have a bad feeling about this"

"l'oeil ne voit que la surface des choses, ne t'y fies pas"

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Apr 15 2008, 07:31 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

That's another cool one, thanks MJS. smilesmall.gif

--------------------
Let's start at the top shall we? The Sith Wars, Palpatine's Empire, Thrawn's siege, Vong invasion, Second Galactic Civil War, I could go on. Point is the enemy hasn't vanished and we're fighting new people/aliens/species every day.

This has always been a Force War and we, as non-Jedi, will still help rid the universe of their evil. That's on one side of the galaxy, on the other our friends: Luke, Han, Leia, Wedge, Iella, Corran, Mirax, etc are still trying to keep the peace. They've thwarted Abeltoth, but others will soon come their way...and ours.

We shall meet these enemies on both sides of the galaxy head on to defeat them. And when we do meet them, it'll be with the same determination, hope, and perseverance all of us have always shown.

None of this is easy as people/aliens/pets/animals are injured or die every day. But to keep the galaxy safe, we'll do all we can to win, for both sides of the galaxy. To ensure peace, we will keep fighting.

Wish us luck, wish us the Force, and pray for us as we'll need it going up against these formidable foes.

(Have been playing SW for over 17yrs--as of 2014--and I also follow the books. I will continue this role playing until I no longer can.) Also I just wanted to thank all who answered my threads and have chatted with me throughout the years; all of you are fun, awesome, caring, friendly, smart, (etc) and are my good/best friends. I will miss talking to you.

+Quote Post
Blue Harvest
post Apr 16 2008, 10:18 AM
Post #4

Hoopy frood who knows where her towel is
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Council (Admin)
Member No.: 1

How about Swedish? You could say that the phrases were carved in ancient viking runes, or something. wink.gif

Build it up again! - Bygg upp det igen!
Light up the Universe! - Sätt universum i brand!
Fight the good fight! - Kämpa för en god sak!

(I translated the meaning of the phrases to their closest equivalent rather than word for word.)

As for other unusual languages there are plenty out there. Huttese, Klingon, Elvish, the ancient language from the 5th element... It's hard to get good translations in any of those though, isn't it? I'd go for a real language that's unfamiliar to your target audience. smile.gif

Good luck!

--------------------
I have a question about voodoo:
If one half of a pair of identical twins has acupuncture... is the other twin in serious trouble?

"Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most." - Ozzy

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Apr 16 2008, 03:07 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Thanks Blue, I was thinking that of the unusual languages but they're hard to find word for word. Thank you also for your translation, if there is nothing else (which I doubt there will be, I'll use yours), thank you again! smilehuge.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mara J Skywalker
post Apr 19 2008, 04:19 AM
Post #6

Steel Poster
Group Icon

I had also thought of brezhoneg which is one of the 12348789451456 celtic languages, it's very common on western France, but it's hard to find a translator.

For example : the sun is green : An heol a zo glaz

here are the lyrics of a traditional song "homesick" (An droug-hirnez )

An eorioł zo savet, setu ar flik-ha-flok ;
Kreńvaat ra an avel, mont a reomp kaer a-raok
Stegnań reeur ar gwelioł, an douar a bella :
Va c'halon, siwazh din ! ne ra met huanadań

Kenavo neb am c'har em parrez tro war-dro ;
Kenavo, dousig paour, Linaig, kenavo,
Ar c'himiad ma ran dit, ken evit da guitaat,
Marteze, siwazh din, da viken, evit mat.

'Vel un evnig lammet gant ur sparfell, er c'hoad,
Deus a gichen he far pa oant d'en em barat,
'M eus ket kalz a amzer da sońjal d'am glac'har,
Ker buan am lammer digant an neb am c'har.

Evel un oan a zen, pellaet deus e vamm,
N'ehanan da ouelań, da deur'l klemmoł estlamm;
Ma daoulagad bepred troet trezek ar plas
E-lec'h out-te chomet, va mignonezig vras.

Pelloc'h va daoulagad na weljont nemet mor,
A gren a-zindanon, a lamm hag a zigor
Ha pa 'z an da sońjal 'mań achuet gane
Ha me e gweled mor, em strinkań ra d'an neńv.

Pa zeuis tre al lestr va estlamm a oa bras
Gwelet ur seurt kastell o vrallań war mor glas
Pevar-ugent kanol, daou-ugent a bep tu,
O c'horf brizhiet en gwenn livet gant livaj du

An aod evel ur c'helc'h, en-dro, pell diouzhen,
O rannań en daou du ar mor bras hag an neńv.
Ha begig ar gwernoł, uhelloc'h deus an dour
Ha n'eo deus ar vered beg an uhellań tour.

Gwel't hoc'h eus war ar roz en-dro d'ar raden glas,
O deus koulmoł a-walc'h koulz a-hed hag e kroaz,
En-dro d'ur wern ez eus liesoc'h a funienn
Evit a neudenn zo en-dro d'ar radenenn.

Allas ! ar Vretoned zo leun a velkoni !
Meveliń ra va fenn, ne hallan sońjal mui.
Va c'halon a zigor ; 'n aner ran ar son-mań
Marteze, siwazh din, n'em c'hlefot he c'hanań

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Apr 21 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Wow that's neat that you translated all that MJS!! Would it be possible if you could translate my sentences into what the brezhoneg would be? Thank you so much! And what country does that language come from?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mara J Skywalker
post Apr 23 2008, 04:42 AM
Post #8

Steel Poster
Group Icon

This is one of the many many celtic languages, and it s used in western France, which is called in french Bretagne, language is called Breton... same thing as Britain, that s why in France we have Britain, and UK is Great Britain ....

I can have your sentences translated by a 100% britton if the language suits your purpose.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th January 2018 - 08:42 AM