Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What do you know about other countries? - second thread, What about Ukraine?
What is your fastest association with Ukraine?
What is your fastest association with Ukraine?
Russia–Ukraine gas dispute [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
UEFA Euro 2012 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
Cossacks [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Verka Serduchka [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Kiev (Lviv etc.) [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
Andriy Shevchenko [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Other (what?) [ 2 ] ** [50.00%]
Total Votes: 4
Guests cannot vote 
Master
post Sep 7 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Frozen in Carbonite on Slave 1
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 1,532

Ages ago Great_Evelyn started a topic about Poland, because she wanted to know, what others know and think about her country. I think it was a great idea, so I decided to create another topic about Ukraine, a county that I find very interesting and versatile.

So, what do you know about this county? Are you interested in it or you completely don't care? Let's find out.

--------------------
THE FOLLOW-UP FORUM to BH:
blue-harvest.co.uk

Married to anya_skywalker

"It is known that there are infinite number of worlds, simply because there is infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so average population of all planets in Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that population of whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of deranged imagination."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master was here (12.10.16)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tyrena
post Sep 7 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Wash at 30C, do not iron
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 1,555

I immediately thought of Euro 2012, since apparently Ukraine is even worse prepared than Poland is, which I didn't think was possible tounge.gif

Other things are probably the never-ending gas story, Lviv which I want to visit some day and eurovision 2004 tounge.gif

--------------------
Burma!

Behind every gifted woman there's often a rather talented cat

To err is human, to purr feline

Cats don't come when they are called, they take the message and get back to you later

Your home is where your cat is

The shortest math joke ever: let epsilon be less than zero...

+Quote Post
Master
post Sep 8 2009, 07:25 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

I immediately thought of Euro 2012, since apparently Ukraine is even worse prepared than Poland is, which I didn't think was possible

Yeah, it's possible to say so, but have you seen the opening of Donbass Arena? It's one of the greatest football stadiums in Europe.

--------------------
blue-harvest.co.uk

"It is known that there are infinite number of worlds, simply because there is infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so average population of all planets in Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that population of whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of deranged imagination."

+Quote Post
saesee tiin coul...
post Sep 11 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #4

Platinum Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,630

A chess champion in my year at school tounge.gif blush.gif

(And former USSR of course. My Geography is hazy at best)

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Sep 11 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #5

Standing beside myself to the nth degree
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 1,159

Primarily the first thing that comes to mind is Chernobyl. Other than that there's Viktor Yushchenko's Orange Revolution and poisoning back in 2004.

Oh, and an old co-worker of mine Vladimir is an engineer originally from Kiev.

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. You got a problem with that?

+Quote Post
Master
post Sep 11 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Primarily the first thing that comes to mind is Chernobyl.

Sad but true sad.gif I didn't want Chernobyl to be in the vote, though...

Other than that there's Viktor Yushchenko's Orange Revolution and poisoning back in 2004.

I don't think Yushenko is much better than Chernobyl tounge.gif

--------------------
blue-harvest.co.uk

+Quote Post
Blue Harvest
post Sep 15 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #7

Hoopy frood who knows where her towel is
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Council (Admin)
Member No.: 1

I visited Poland for the first time this summer and absolutely loved it. msn_love.gif
The landscape surrounding Krakow, in southern Poland, was beauuuutiful. The biggest surprise was probaby the food which was deliciously addictive. drool.gif

I had Polish friends growing up, so my image of Poland before I saw it for myself was pretty much the one they'd painted for me. Unfortunately the picture they'd communicated was a pretty dark one. Cities polluted by industry, poverty, unemployment and a country torn apart by war and politics... Seeing how my friends left Poland many decades ago I now advice them to go back and see the change. I think they'd find the country much changed for the better compared to what it was when they left it.

--------------------
I have a question about voodoo:
If one half of a pair of identical twins has acupuncture... is the other twin in serious trouble?

"Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most." - Ozzy

+Quote Post
Master
post Sep 15 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Wrong thread, Blue. wink.gif

--------------------
blue-harvest.co.uk

+Quote Post
Blue Harvest
post Sep 15 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #9

Hoopy frood who knows where her towel is
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Council (Admin)
Member No.: 1

Oops! blush.gif Only read the title and a couple of the most recent posts, which led me to believe... nevermind. *L*

I've never been to Ukraine but I want to go. Kiev and Kharkiv are at the top of my list. (Maybe someone can tip me off about another good destination?)

My knowledge of today's Ukraine is next to none, I'm sad to say. My knowledge kind of stops after the "Golden Age of Kiev", when Ukraine was the most powerful nation in Europe. Seeing how that era ended 800 years ago I really should update myself with a visit. *lol*

--------------------
I have a question about voodoo:
If one half of a pair of identical twins has acupuncture... is the other twin in serious trouble?

"Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most." - Ozzy

+Quote Post
Master
post Sep 15 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

(Maybe someone can tip me off about another good destination?)

I think you should put Lviv to the top of your "ought to visit" list. It's such a pity that I haven't been there yet!
And if you want to go to the seaside, you shouldn't forget about the Crimea, though it's very russian-like due to its history.

--------------------
blue-harvest.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th January 2018 - 08:45 AM