Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why is it OK for EU authors to rewrite the saga....
Leiafan
post May 15 2012, 05:32 AM
Post #1

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 2,613

...and not OK for Lucas to make the SE changes, or the changes that were in the Blu-Ray saga set?

Because I've seen endless screeching about how Lucas "destroyed" the saga by having Greedo shoot first, or "ruined" Han with the same change, and so on. I've also seen endless screeching about how he "destroyed" Vader, by making him a kid in Episode I instead of a teenaged or adult "kewl badass," and how Vader was strong (confusedbig.gif) in the OT but in the PT he's a "pouty, whiny wimp." And so on.

So how come it's OK for the EU authors to rewrite Han as a lovesick sap who moons for 10 years over some woman, and is only hardened and cynical in ANH because she dumped him...and in further rewrites, this same woman single-handedly founded the Rebellion, got Alderaan involved in it, and stole the Death Star plans? How come it's OK for EU authors to rewrite the Emperor as a kid-loving softie who adopts and rears some girl "like his own," and she becomes SO POWERFUL that she's practically his backup Sith apprentice and Vader fears/envies her, but at the same time, she's pure as the new-driven snow on the inside and "really doing the work of a Jedi"?

How come it's OK for EU authors to ignore the entire point of ROTJ, if not the OT, by having Luke turn to the Dark Side? How come it's OK for EU authors to say that the Sith only formed because the ancient Jedi "weren't as tolerant as they should have been" toward Darth Whatshisface's curiosity about the Dark Side? How come it's OK for EU authors to proclaim that the reason Palpatine formed the Empire was "to fight the Vong invasion that occurs 40-odd years later"? How come it's OK for the EU to rewrite turning to the Dark Side as something that Jedi not only do with regularity, but came come back from with no ill effects save for being in a bad mood for a while? How come it's OK for the EU to portray the Empire as "not so bad," and bizarrely rewrite the Death Star not as a massive killing machine, but a spacebound metropolis full of regular people "doing their jobs"?

How come it's OK to destroy the bond of friendship and love between Luke, Han and Leia? How come it's OK to bust up Han and Leia and elevate Luke and his wife over them, even saying they're a better couple than Han/Leia because of their "Force bond"? How come it's OK for the EU to completely rewrite Boba Fett's entire story?

I only ask because the same people who screech about Lucas's changes TO HIS OWN SAGA generally have no problem at all with the endless changes, contradictions, etc. that the EU authors (who are GUESTS in Lucas's "playground") have made to it. Not only that, but the same people who screech about supposed "plot holes" and inconsistencies between the PT and the OT, and mock anyone who offers explanations, have no problem reconciling/finding explanations for the innumerable inconsistencies that the EU has with both trilogies...and even with itself. Still further, I've seen EU fans express outrage that Lucas "contradicted" what the EU authors established about prequel-era events when he made the prequel trilogy, as if the EU authors created SW and not him...but they have zero problems with the contradictions the EU authors made, and continue to make, to the entire saga.

--------------------
Darth Vader would snap Mara Jade's throat like a twig -- if she was even worth the effort
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
master_palin
post Jun 11 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #2

Bronze Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 66

Because People are idiots..

But for once I totally Agree with you.. Personally I complain about all of the above.
The Eu stuff is fun and expands on SW but you have to take it wiht a grain of salt..

For instance as to the founding of the rebellion or the recovery of the Death Star Plans I think there are about 3-4 different stories that cover how that happens.. and only 1 of them is the Official version.

As to the Special editions of hte OT. some of the editions /edits I like some I don't
But even the EU alot of the stuff written in the last few years has been HORRIBLE..

--------------------
Pain Heals
Chicks dig Scars
Glory last forever

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post Jun 16 2012, 03:06 AM
Post #3

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,613

QUOTE (master_palin @ Jun 11 2012, 11:16 PM) *
Because People are idiots..

But for once I totally Agree with you.. Personally I complain about all of the above.
The Eu stuff is fun and expands on SW but you have to take it wiht a grain of salt..

For instance as to the founding of the rebellion or the recovery of the Death Star Plans I think there are about 3-4 different stories that cover how that happens.. and only 1 of them is the Official version.

As to the Special editions of hte OT. some of the editions /edits I like some I don't
But even the EU alot of the stuff written in the last few years has been HORRIBLE..

Thanks, master_palin. Glad to see someone gets what I'm saying. smile.gif

The SE changes don't bother me, except for Luke's "girly scream" in ESB: SE. I was very glad when that was deleted from the 2004 OT DVD set. I haven't seen any of the Blu-Ray changes because, well, I haven't seen the Blu-Ray set.

--------------------
Darth Vader would snap Mara Jade's throat like a twig -- if she was even worth the effort

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Jun 17 2012, 04:45 PM
Post #4

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Member No.: 884

I think people are just saying, "It's SW, it's okay." When sometimes it's not okay. You have to remember what this author wrote to not get confused. And don't forget what or how GL created things, so don't go over that. The only thing that really bothered me, book wise, was the Force concept. When they said there's no light and dark. It's the unifying force...whatever that means. There is a light and dark side to the Force, it's always been that way, don't change it just cause the author doesn't like it.
--So that's what I think is happening.

I agree with you guys also where the writers have been getting awful. The series with Jacen going bad was just like Anakin's story, only give a twist here and give a twist there and wow we have a story cause it's different. Ah, no it wasn't.

And the last series was okay, but the ending was a disappointment. They talked about how hundreds of Jedi would go up against Abeloth and others, and no sorry audience...something happened. Now it's only a handful. There goes thinking I could see some awesome Jedi action in a book again! sad.gif

--------------------
Let's start at the top shall we? The Sith Wars, Palpatine's Empire, Thrawn's siege, Vong invasion, Second Galactic Civil War, I could go on. Point is the enemy hasn't vanished and we're fighting new people/aliens/species every day.

This has always been a Force War and we, as non-Jedi, will still help rid the universe of their evil. That's on one side of the galaxy, on the other our friends: Luke, Han, Leia, Wedge, Iella, Corran, Mirax, etc are still trying to keep the peace. They've thwarted Abeltoth, but others will soon come their way...and ours.

We shall meet these enemies on both sides of the galaxy head on to defeat them. And when we do meet them, it'll be with the same determination, hope, and perseverance all of us have always shown.

None of this is easy as people/aliens/pets/animals are injured or die every day. But to keep the galaxy safe, we'll do all we can to win, for both sides of the galaxy. To ensure peace, we will keep fighting.

Wish us luck, wish us the Force, and pray for us as we'll need it going up against these formidable foes.

(Have been playing SW for over 17yrs--as of 2014--and I also follow the books. I will continue this role playing until I no longer can.) Also I just wanted to thank all who answered my threads and have chatted with me throughout the years; all of you are fun, awesome, caring, friendly, smart, (etc) and are my good/best friends. I will miss talking to you.

+Quote Post
Jedi Gurl
post Jun 29 2013, 12:26 AM
Post #5

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,395

I choose to just enjoy the novels. I don't care if there are some dumb inconsistencies. I like the novels. I truly enjoy them b/c I take them as they are, stories to expand the saga. I think for the most part they seem pretty consistent to me. And when they aren't consistent I overlook b/c I want to enjoy it. If someone doesn't like the novels they can just not read them. And for those who complain that the movies aren't consistent enough. I ask would they prefer we only had the originals and there was just no prequels or novels or new editions or the blu ray. Personally that is a world I do not want to live in. tounge.gif

--------------------

My padawan is Alderaan Princess and I'm happily married to Ninja Boy.
Why do people say "Life's a bitch" because if it was a slut it'd be easy.
I'm such a loser my FISH tried to runaway.
Jedi Gurl loves her Ninja Boy
Life is like watching Star Wars, if you spend too much time crying cuz uncle Owen and aunt Beru died, you'll miss the ewok celebration.
Peace, Love, and Red Pants!!

+Quote Post
Master
post Sep 18 2013, 07:49 AM
Post #6

Frozen in Carbonite on Slave 1
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,532

It's a good point about double standards that some people have. But the difference is that novels are not as big a movies, For many people the OT is a masterpiece they've seen numerous times in their past. And to change it is to violate something sacred. Now, the books are for die-hard fans who want to know as much as possible about the saga. Some can (and must) be ignored, and some are a must read... but you can ignore them. You can't ignore movies though.

People have these images in there head and when something changes they cannot accept it. It's understandable, but for me it's not that big a deal when Lucas changes something. Sure I hate some of his modifications like when Vader screams NOOO or Ben Kenobi makes really weird notices... But I accept it or just ignore it. And it's far more easier to ignore some novels, and there are plenty of really bad ones. Everyone has its own universe with its own cannon. Writers have their vision, its their right. And our right is to or not to accept their vision. There's no use in whining about it.

--------------------
THE FOLLOW-UP FORUM to BH:
blue-harvest.co.uk

Married to anya_skywalker

"It is known that there are infinite number of worlds, simply because there is infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so average population of all planets in Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that population of whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of deranged imagination."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master was here (12.10.16)

+Quote Post
darthnecrum
post Dec 23 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #7

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 431

I never got over Kevin Anderson making admiral Akbar a traitor and then killing him.. confusedsmall.gif

Does anyone know if all that G-canon etc. stuff is being adhered to any more?

Is there going to be 'D-canon' now? ha ha

--------------------
I HAD a bad feeling about this, but now I take ZOLOFT :D

Married to: The Dark Side

Happy to be an Irregular Poster/Lurker

Don't you die on me BH

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 11:11 AM