Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why can't Leia catch a break in the books?
Leiafan
post Mar 14 2010, 03:54 AM
Post #21

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 2,613

QUOTE (Zhuge Liang @ Mar 9 2010, 07:53 AM) *
Teenagers acting out against their parents. Not surprising.

Acting out is one thing. Being a complete beeyotch who should have been slapped until her nose bled is another. (Funny how Ben never acted out toward his mother as he grew older; she was just the bee's knees in his eyes -- but all three of Leia's kids hated her and couldn't kiss up to Mara enough.) And last time I checked, neither Luke nor Mara were teenagers when they were too busy schmooping to care about Leia, or any of the other times they were busy getting it on while friends and family were fighting and dying all around them.

Yeah, because you can just wash your hands of the Emperor and not expect repercussions.

If you're Mara, you can. She feels no guilt for what she did, and has the gall to think that crashing her ship cleaned her slate.

--------------------
Darth Vader would snap Mara Jade's throat like a twig -- if she was even worth the effort
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zhuge Liang
post Mar 17 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #22

On Naboo in Amidala's throne room
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,500

It's like arguing with a brick wall with you.

--------------------
You, you, next victim, you next to die.
You, you, next victim, you, your turn to die.
You, come on, next victim, you, your turn to die.
You, come on, next victim, you, your turn to die.
You die!

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post May 9 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #23

Regular Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Zhuge Liang @ Mar 17 2010, 12:08 AM) *
It's like arguing with a brick wall with you.

No, Zhuge. It's like arguing with someone who backs up her arguments and refuses to let people change the subject.

Mara didn't deserve to be a Jedi master. Period. Pointing at Kyp (who I said many times didn't deserve to be a Jedi master either) or saying "Other characters did worse than Mara" does not change anything. I have seen all kinds of defenses of Mara -- mostly pointing at other characters and trying to make them seem "as bad as" Mara, or "worse than Mara." Some of them ARE as bad as Mara, or worse than Mara. But that is completely irrelevant. Saying, "So and so did worse" by way of "proving" why Mara deserves Jedi masterhood is like saying that Susan Smith's crime (drowning her two children) wasn't horrendous because Ted Bundy killed a lot more people.

Another poster said that Mara wasn't the only one to name ships after herself -- smugglers like Karrde did too. I don't CARE if other smugglers named their ships after themselves. That was not my point. My point was that Mara's "sacrifice" -- crashing her ship -- was not a sacrifice at all, especially since she got a brand new one (named after herself) in almost no time. So she had to ride on other people's ships for, what, six months. Big deal. That was not a sacrifice, and it did not make her worthy of Jedihood, much less Jedi masterhood.

Another poster said that maybe Luke was too afraid of Mara's wrath to stand up to her when she was bawling out Leia or hypocritically dissing his dead father. If he's so "afraid of her wrath," that's another reason why he had no business making that shrew a Jedi master. Yet he never thinks twice about that bad decision. And since when is Luke such a wuss? Since when does he care more about getting it on with his hateful wife than about helping his sister when her husband has left her, her kids are insulting her, her son has died, she's been tortured, etc.?

I do not accept any excuses for Mara's behavior in the NJO because there are none. None at all. Pointing at other characters' wrongs doesn't erase Mara's, especially since Mara herself is usually the first one to speak up about other people's wrongs/mistakes, and no one even blinks. She became a can-do-no-wrong, untouchable Mary Sue in the NJO, pure and simple.

And the Sueification of her hasn't stopped, even though she's dead.

--------------------
Darth Vader would snap Mara Jade's throat like a twig -- if she was even worth the effort

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post Sep 10 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #24

Regular Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rebel_A96 @ Apr 19 2009, 10:14 PM) *
No wonder Luke's Jedi Order is such a mess.
^Forgiveness is the best way to get on with life. Grudges, no matter how small or large, are terrible to hold.

Tell that to Mara, who spent about two books fuming over baby Ben's disappearance and sniping at Leia for it, while Luke sat there "in awe" of her. Oh, and she spent five years hating Luke and planning revenge for "taking her good life away from her."

And exactly WHY is this anger-filled, grudge-holding, violent, bad-tempered shrew worthy of Jedi masterhood, again?

By the by, you said this earlier:

^To her, it was a wonderful life and she loved her job very much. Luke took that from her, in her eyes, as she thought he had killed Palpatine and Palpatine did die as the DS2 blew up. It's like if someone here took over your job even though you're a better candidate for the position, wouldn't you have a grudge against them a bit? Any normal person would.

So I guess you don't think Mara's grudge was really so "terrible to hold."

^I know I said this before, but I'm really going to have to read some of the NJO again to see how they wrote Han/Leia's relationship.

It's belittled, insulted, and made to seem lesser to Luke and Mara's "wuv." Luke and Mara get all the love scenes and most of the personal scenes throughout.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 03:12 AM