Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The opening crawl of Ep. III, Who are the heroes?
Arca Hejaran
post Jul 25 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #1

On Corellia in Han's old home
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 1,143

While I was watching Episode III's opening crawl text, a question arose which my friends and I were unable to answer. The first paragraph is:

War! The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku. There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.

If there are heroes on both sides, who are they? We could imagine pretty good who the heroes from the Republic could be, but who are the heroes of the Separatists?
I mean there are Count Dooku, Darth Maul (deceased), Nute Gunray and a myriad of droids, but is one of them meant with the sentence "heroes on both sides"?
Who else could be meant with that?

--------------------

My former master: thedarkwarrior II
My padawan: ~R2D2_owns_us_all
I'm a proud BH irregular!

Married to my love, greenangel.
Greenangel is legend

Ballroom Blitz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
oo-ta-dee
post Jul 27 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #2

Rookie Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370

Myself, I've often thought that was nothing more than a plug for the clone war movies and series that came after ROTS. I don't really keep up with the clone war cartoons but I'm guessing there might be good guys on both sides. I'm pretty sure there are some good guys mentioned from time to time in the books that were Seperatists.

--------------------
My focus has determined my reality.

+Quote Post
master_palin
post Jul 27 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #3

Bronze Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 66

Well you had Jango, for a time.. Gervious, Dukus apprentice forget her name. And I'm sure there where others who did their part in major battles that won the sepertist victories. But we never hear much about them.

Keep in mind as some of the Jedi and senitors come to realize maybe they have been on teh wrong side this whole time. The Actuall sepertist movement and the political reason for leaving the republic where actaully pretty sound. Its just that the Sith used it to manipulate a war for their own ends.

--------------------
Pain Heals
Chicks dig Scars
Glory last forever

+Quote Post
Jaden
post Sep 19 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #4

New Poster
Group Icon

Group: Padawan
Member No.: 35,693

That's what I thought. Wanting to leaving the Republic was all very well, but that the Republic wasn't as democratic as it made itself out to be. They didn't know the sith were involved, to start with, right? - and yet from the very beginning treated the separatists as if the very act of leaving the Republic was illegal, rather than what misdeeds the movement may have committed. That always bothered me.

Mostly likely it is simply a plot hole, "Why are the separatists bad?" "DOOKU." "Okay." Though if we rationalise it as we tend to do, we could conclude that their behaviour was essentially terrorism by this stage, and thus the movement was so closely associated with violence so as to overshadow the any legitimacy. This could be the sith influence mentioned showing. And doubtless there would have been propaganda on the both the Republic and Palpatine's part.

Nonetheless, if I lived in the Republic at the time I would have been extremely worried about the treatment of the issue itself (leaving the Republic) and what it meant. Which would have been justified, seeing as the Republic morphed into the Empire a few years later.

Now, if we for a moment pretend that Lucas actually thought through all this as well, we could be looking at some political commentary. But it's unlike.

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Oct 4 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #5

Standing beside myself to the nth degree
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 1,159

QUOTE (Jaden @ Sep 18 2009, 09:09 PM) *
Now, if we for a moment pretend that Lucas actually thought through all this as well, we could be looking at some political commentary. But it's unlike.

Sorry to chime in on this a bit late...

On the contrary, Jaden. Lucas stated himself that the Prequels are an exercise in political commentary. He used The Roman Empire as the backdrop for The Republic. However, I see parallels with the U.S. Civil War in regards to the Separatists. So I'm almost entirely certain that he pulled from both historical periods for inspiration.

Really, the political commentary in the Prequels has to do more with the fragility of democracy, and a republican form of government. IMO, it's a careful look at how complacency and corruption subvert a democratic system.

While it can be argued just really how "democratic" The Republic was, there's a thread available for that conversation: http://forum.blueharvest.net/index.php?showtopic=10121. Fairly decent topic that's been rather dead awhile (btw I'm not necessarily "pimping" my own topic wink.gif ). Grand Moff hasn't continued the discussion; he hasn't been around lately.

So yes, I imagine leaving The Republic would have been a great matter, and not decided lightly. There was much the same issue when the CSA (Confederate States of America) did the same. Of course the Union declared it was illegal, but that's a no-brainer. The Republic would act in the same manner because that's how governments operate.

The issue on the "heroes on both sides" in the crawl is an interesting one. I do imagine that's a plot hole, but every time we see anything about The Clone Wars, it's all from The Republic's point of view. I don't necessarily believe this is a fair depiction of the war. While the true leadership of the Separatists are the Sith Lords, I believe the movement proved it's case against the bureaucratic and corrupt government of The Republic. So while we see everything from Anakin's side of the story (could also be argued that the true perspective of SW is told from the droids POV, but that's another topic), we're not given the full story.

Since I haven't watched almost any of The Clone Wars animated series, I don't know if that's changed. From what I have watched, I've noticed fairly little of the perspective has been altered.

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. You got a problem with that?

+Quote Post
master_palin
post Oct 5 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #6

Bronze Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 66

No the clone wars cartoon series doesn't change the perspective. Republic good Sepertist bad.
But really they dont get into the deep political and economical issues. We just see the Droid army doing evil things under the control of the Evil Sith and the thugs working for them. Even if they dont know that they are.

--------------------
Pain Heals
Chicks dig Scars
Glory last forever

+Quote Post
Rebel Clone
post Jan 12 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #7

Junior Poster
Group Icon

Group: Padawan
Member No.: 35,724

When you say Republic good and Seperatists bad
is it not similar to the Rep being England
and Seps being America?

did we not break apart and disagree with our beliefs that have been around forever?

Yet we dont have a powerhead that worked it all to his advantage....yet eyeball.gif

--------------------
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 11:27 AM