> Why the Hate?
Darth Dahak
post Sep 23 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #1

New Poster
Group Icon

Group: Padawan
Member No.: 35,804

I'm sorry if this has been asked before..I'm new here.

I was just wondering why so many people have such hate for the prequel trilogy. I understand there was some flaws and what not, but i really didn't think they were bad at all. I know there is alot of hate for the way Anakin and they way he was portrayed in Clones and Revenge, but in my honest opinion it was perfect to me.

I have heard one theory that the Lord of the Rings series came out around the same time and was looked upon as "better" (I put better in "" because many, including myself, don't agree at all).

So what do you think? Where is all the hate coming from?

--------------------

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Sep 23 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #2

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 884

I don't think people hate the PT, it's just we don't like it as much as the OT. In my opinion, the OT is better because the actors were better, their was humor, and the action just seemed better. The only PT movie I liked was RotS. I thought Hayden Christensen was only good when he was angry, other than that he was mediocre. Jake Lloyd was horrible and Jar Jar, while needed, was slightly annoying. Also much of the humor in the PT was taken out, why? It worked so well in the last trilogy.

So I don't hate the PT, it's just I'd rather watch the OT over them.

--------------------
Let's start at the top shall we? The Sith Wars, Palpatine's Empire, Thrawn's siege, Vong invasion, Second Galactic Civil War, I could go on. Point is the enemy hasn't vanished and we're fighting new people/aliens/species every day.

This has always been a Force War and we, as non-Jedi, will still help rid the universe of their evil. That's on one side of the galaxy, on the other our friends: Luke, Han, Leia, Wedge, Iella, Corran, Mirax, etc are still trying to keep the peace. They've thwarted Abeltoth, but others will soon come their way...and ours.

We shall meet these enemies on both sides of the galaxy head on to defeat them. And when we do meet them, it'll be with the same determination, hope, and perseverance all of us have always shown.

None of this is easy as people/aliens/pets/animals are injured or die every day. But to keep the galaxy safe, we'll do all we can to win, for both sides of the galaxy. To ensure peace, we will keep fighting.

Wish us luck, wish us the Force, and pray for us as we'll need it going up against these formidable foes.

(Have been playing SW for over 17yrs--as of 2014--and I also follow the books. I will continue this role playing until I no longer can.) Also I just wanted to thank all who answered my threads and have chatted with me throughout the years; all of you are fun, awesome, caring, friendly, smart, (etc) and are my good/best friends. I will miss talking to you.

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post Oct 1 2010, 07:04 AM
Post #3

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,613

QUOTE (Darth Dahak @ Sep 23 2010, 04:39 PM) *
I'm sorry if this has been asked before..I'm new here.

I was just wondering why so many people have such hate for the prequel trilogy. I understand there was some flaws and what not, but i really didn't think they were bad at all. I know there is alot of hate for the way Anakin and they way he was portrayed in Clones and Revenge, but in my honest opinion it was perfect to me.

I have heard one theory that the Lord of the Rings series came out around the same time and was looked upon as "better" (I put better in "" because many, including myself, don't agree at all).

So what do you think? Where is all the hate coming from?

Oh, I don't know if "so many people" hate the prequels. The whiners and complainers have been extremely noisy, plus they are STILL fixated on movies they hate beyond the power of words to tell, more than 10 years after the first prequel was released and more than five years after the last one was released. They're losers, but, unfortunately, the only "fan" faction that the media pays attention to...as a result, a false picture is painted.

Also, most SW "fan" message boards, including this one, tend to protect and promote hatred for the prequels. Interestingly, those same message boards have a zero-tolerance policy for any criticism of the worthless, non-canon Expanded Universe...and, even more bizarrely, any criticism of Bored of the Borings, the allegedly "superior," mind-numbingly tedious trilogy put out by the overrated Saint Peter "The Great" Jackson.

The prequels were huge financial successes, and even though the whiny bashers got most of the press, the general public liked, or at least didn't mind, them. The prequels are way more popular that the stupid Expanded Universe will ever be, even if we're supposed to think that the EU is "more popular" and "deeper" than the prequels. I would bet that if you interviewed 100 people off the street, way more of them would know who Anakin and Padmé and Qui Gon Jinn were than would know who that disgusting skank Mara Jade is.

--------------------
Darth Vader would snap Mara Jade's throat like a twig -- if she was even worth the effort

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Oct 1 2010, 09:56 PM
Post #4

Standing beside myself to the nth degree
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 1,159

QUOTE (Leiafan @ Oct 1 2010, 01:04 AM) *
Also, most SW "fan" message boards, including this one, tend to protect and promote hatred for the prequels. Interestingly, those same message boards have a zero-tolerance policy for any criticism of the worthless, non-canon Expanded Universe...and, even more bizarrely, any criticism of Bored of the Borings, the allegedly "superior," mind-numbingly tedious trilogy put out by the overrated Saint Peter "The Great" Jackson.

Really, Leiafan? Really? BH protects and promotes hatred of the prequels? No. We promote discussions that are civil in tone, and constructive in criticism and/or praise. Any evidence of the "promotion of prequel hatred" on BH is perceived by you (and only you), your super-sensitivity towards PT criticism, and your personal crusade to defend them over the "internets." The only hostility evident here is what you bring with you from other forums.

Seriously, they're only movies (which I happen to like)....entertainment that may or may not have inherent social value in the future. The EU books are only "books." Some are better than others. Peter Jackson is "Sir Peter Jackson," a filmmaker...and a damn good one. George Lucas is a great filmmaker also, and a brilliant storyteller who pulled themes, characters, and ideas from some of the best film and stories in modern history to create his own vibrant universe. Finally, Mara Jade, a fictional character, happens to be dead.

You should be satisfied with that, right?

You seriously ruin Star Wars for me. Thanks.

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. You got a problem with that?

+Quote Post
quinlan voss
post Oct 2 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #5

Flying casual in the Tyderium shuttle
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,549

Well said Madison msn_yes.gif wink.gif I see even though i've been a way for a while that some things never change.

sw-rebel.gif

--------------------

"He will be our agent on their side."
"True, all this is. But dangerous this game is that Quinlan Vos plays—most of all for him. For that which you pretend to be, you may become."
―Tholme and Yoda.

"I am not part of the dark—simply deeper in the shadows."―Quinlan Vos.

"No more games, Lord Tyranus. No more pretending. I know who I am. I've made my choice. My name is Quinlan Vos and I am a Jedi."―Quinlan Vos to Dooku on Saleucami.

+Quote Post
jedimasterskid
post Oct 3 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #6

Can't bribe me with money, can't shower me with shame.
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,317

I've said this many time to other people. The OT and the PT movies are like works of art you can't compare them against each other. Can you say that Leonardo's Davinci's Mona Lisa is better than Edvard Munch The scream? No you can't because they are two very different picture in their own way that has their own uniqueness about them.

--------------------

Master who trained me- Firey
Wife- Firey(16/3/2008)

Greenangel is legend
For those who don't know....now you know~Zacky Vengence

Death to Twitter/Myspace/Facebook

Jedi-masters.co.uk RIP

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Oct 3 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (quinlan voss @ Oct 2 2010, 08:21 AM) *
Well said Madison msn_yes.gif wink.gif I see even though i've been a way for a while that some things never change.

sw-rebel.gif

'Bout time you got here! tounge.gif

I've been waiting for you for what seems like an eternity, quinlan! Glad you're back! msn_yes.gif

QUOTE (jedimasterskid @ Oct 3 2010, 12:28 PM) *
I've said this many time to other people. The OT and the PT movies are like works of art you can't compare them against each other. Can you say that Leonardo's Davinci's Mona Lisa is better than Edvard Munch The scream? No you can't because they are two very different picture in their own way that has their own uniqueness about them.

Well, I believe that analogy doesn't quite make sense. The Mona Lisa and The Last Supper would be a more logical comparison as they were both painted by Leonardo. Munch vs. da Vinci, is kind of like comparing Lucas to Hitchcock, respectively.

Regardless, IMHO there's a generational factor involved. Generally those that grew up with the OT hold them in higher regard than those who grew up with the PT. So the generation that disregarded most the harsh critical reception of the OT, became the critics who reviewed the PT harshly. Lucas utilized the same formula for the PT to appeal to a large audience. While that formula was great for those of us who were 5 when we saw ANH, it didn't work as well at 27 years old with TPM.

I personally thought the first 20-30 minutes of TPM was Star Wars for the ADD generation because I was overwhelmed. Star cruiser, to ground war, to underwater kingdom, to giant fish eating giant fish, and then to Theed. That was the first half hour. It was a lot to digest, but it was perfect for the younger crowd. And it did grow on me after a few viewings.

Anyways, Lucas was doomed with us older folks who first saw the OT in the theater. The hype surrounding it was so huge, there was bound to be disappointment. He had an impossible task, even though he did deliver. He just didn't deliver in the way the older fans expected.

Hate the PT? No. I like it. I just like the OT better.

I can tell you one thing. After ROTS, I absolutely admire the way Palpatine was written...how diabolical. If anything, this should make everyone love the PT.

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )

+Quote Post
quinlan voss
post Oct 4 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Well, better late than never Madison toungewink.gif It's good to be back satisfied.gif

sw-rebel.gif

--------------------

"True, all this is. But dangerous this game is that Quinlan Vos plays—most of all for him. For that which you pretend to be, you may become."
―Tholme and Yoda.

"No more games, Lord Tyranus. No more pretending. I know who I am. I've made my choice. My name is Quinlan Vos and I am a Jedi."―Quinlan Vos to Dooku on Saleucami.

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Oct 5 2010, 03:09 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Glad you are back. Plan on sticking around awhile? I see on FB you've been quite busy. Do you have a little voss running around now?

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )

+Quote Post
quinlan voss
post Oct 5 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

I certainly shall be sticking around, it looks like the forum could use all the people it can get at the moment sad.gif Little Voss isn't with us just yet my wife isn't due till November 30th but not long now. My wife and I have been playing her music (yes it's a girl) and i'm pleased to say she loves the Imperial March satisfied.gif It's one of the songs that makes her move the most smile.gif

sw-rebel.gif

--------------------

―Tholme and Yoda.

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post Oct 5 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #11

Regular Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Madison_rogue @ Oct 1 2010, 10:56 PM) *
Really, Leiafan? Really? BH protects and promotes hatred of the prequels? No. We promote discussions that are civil in tone, and constructive in criticism and/or praise. Any evidence of the "promotion of prequel hatred" on BH is perceived by you (and only you), your super-sensitivity towards PT criticism, and your personal crusade to defend them over the "internets." The only hostility evident here is what you bring with you from other forums.

Seriously, they're only movies (which I happen to like)....entertainment that may or may not have inherent social value in the future. The EU books are only "books." Some are better than others. Peter Jackson is "Sir Peter Jackson," a filmmaker...and a damn good one. George Lucas is a great filmmaker also, and a brilliant storyteller who pulled themes, characters, and ideas from some of the best film and stories in modern history to create his own vibrant universe. Finally, Mara Jade, a fictional character, happens to be dead.

You should be satisfied with that, right?

You seriously ruin Star Wars for me. Thanks.

You're welcome. I didn't know I had such power over you, madison...that I could "ruin" SW for you.

I actually have no "crusade" to defend the PT. I gave up on that long ago.

I agree with your second paragraph except for the part about Saint Peter "The Great" Jackson.

--------------------
Darth Vader would snap Mara Jade's throat like a twig -- if she was even worth the effort

+Quote Post
quinlan voss
post Oct 6 2010, 08:36 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Leiafan-I think Madison means you ruin SW for him because of your obsessive trolling on this site. It still seems to me like you are very much on a crusade to protect the prequel films.

sw-rebel.gif

--------------------

―Tholme and Yoda.

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Oct 6 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Leiafan @ Oct 5 2010, 02:52 PM) *
You're welcome. I didn't know I had such power over you, madison...that I could "ruin" SW for you.

I actually have no "crusade" to defend the PT. I gave up on that long ago.

I agree with your second paragraph except for the part about Saint Peter "The Great" Jackson.

Power over me? Haha. No, Quinlan has a good point. Your incessant trolling is tired, and you can't have a normal conversation with us because you're so narrow minded with your focus on the prequels.

You may claim you're not on some crusade, but 278 posts (soon to be 279 I'm sure) paints quite a different picture, Leiafan. Your first post in this topic (which I anticipated) gives us a brief rundown of nearly all your BH posts.

1. The TPM is harshly criticized, and there's a conspiracy even on BH that we actively "promote" hatred of the prequels. I personally draw the line when someone makes claims about this forum that are entirely false, and most especially false claims made to new members. Honestly, the closest we've come to discussing prequel hatred in the moderation section revolve around your posts, and your posts exclusively.

2. You hate Peter Jackson, or should I say, you hate those that praise him for his treatment of LOTR. Maybe you hate both; you rarely stray between your level of animosity with him and those that give him praise. Of course you alienated long standing members of this forum who also happen to be LOTR fans in the process.

3. You hate Mara Jade. I honestly can't believe you give such power to a fictional character. Do you intentionally read these books just to get angry? Is it a tortuous affair? Really, put the rag down and read something else (I hear Brian Herbert has a few new stories about Arrakis). I'm amazed that someone who criticizes the EU as much as you, knows volumes on the subject.

So honestly Leiafan, who actively does the hate promoting around here? Members can't criticize The Phantom Menace, yet you're free to criticize Mara Jade & Peter Jackson? Seems quite a hypocritical practice, and we can't moderate the forum in that manner. We also have rules & guidelines which must be followed.

Maybe you should take a step back, and look what this forum has afforded you. Our practice is to afford every member the right to express their own opinion (yes even yours). We don't edit posts, nor do we adhere to some rigid & structured vision in regards to how all Star Wars content should be portrayed on this site. You have run up against those that do not share your opinion Leiafan, but you're still here, and we still tolerate your viewpoint.

I highly suggest we get back on topic. No joke.

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )

+Quote Post
quinlan voss
post Oct 6 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

I really don't understand all the hate for the prequel films confusedbig.gif I think each one of the prequel films has something to offer SW fans. Whilst I personally think TPM is the weakest prequel film it gave us the Jedi Order in it's prime, Pod Racing (I msn_love.gif Pod Racing!) and Darth Maul who in my opinion is the second coolest villain out of all the films. AOTC gave us our first glimpse of Anakin losing it, Bobba Fett's dad, shed loads of Jedi fighting in the arena at Geonosis and Yoda proving why he is a Jedi Master at the end of the film. I still think it's pure genius when he draws his lightsaber using the force to fight Count Dooku satisfied.gif As for ROTS I personally love the film. Yes, it still has it's weak points but watching Anakin's fall to the Dark Side gets me every time!

So while there is hate for the prequels i think people need to remember there is also a lot of good stuff as well.

sw-rebel.gif

--------------------

―Tholme and Yoda.

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post Oct 8 2010, 04:56 AM
Post #15

Regular Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Madison_rogue @ Oct 6 2010, 11:49 AM) *
Power over me? Haha. No, Quinlan has a good point. Your incessant trolling is tired, and you can't have a normal conversation with us because you're so narrow minded with your focus on the prequels.

You may claim you're not on some crusade, but 278 posts (soon to be 279 I'm sure) paints quite a different picture, Leiafan. Your first post in this topic (which I anticipated) gives us a brief rundown of nearly all your BH posts.

1. The TPM is harshly criticized, and there's a conspiracy even on BH that we actively "promote" hatred of the prequels. I personally draw the line when someone makes claims about this forum that are entirely false, and most especially false claims made to new members. Honestly, the closest we've come to discussing prequel hatred in the moderation section revolve around your posts, and your posts exclusively.

2. You hate Peter Jackson, or should I say, you hate those that praise him for his treatment of LOTR. Maybe you hate both; you rarely stray between your level of animosity with him and those that give him praise. Of course you alienated long standing members of this forum who also happen to be LOTR fans in the process.

3. You hate Mara Jade. I honestly can't believe you give such power to a fictional character. Do you intentionally read these books just to get angry? Is it a tortuous affair? Really, put the rag down and read something else (I hear Brian Herbert has a few new stories about Arrakis). I'm amazed that someone who criticizes the EU as much as you, knows volumes on the subject.

So honestly Leiafan, who actively does the hate promoting around here? Members can't criticize The Phantom Menace, yet you're free to criticize Mara Jade & Peter Jackson? Seems quite a hypocritical practice, and we can't moderate the forum in that manner. We also have rules & guidelines which must be followed.

Maybe you should take a step back, and look what this forum has afforded you. Our practice is to afford every member the right to express their own opinion (yes even yours). We don't edit posts, nor do we adhere to some rigid & structured vision in regards to how all Star Wars content should be portrayed on this site. You have run up against those that do not share your opinion Leiafan, but you're still here, and we still tolerate your viewpoint.

I highly suggest we get back on topic. No joke.

OK, madison.

I like the PT and I don't understand the hate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post Oct 10 2010, 06:27 AM
Post #16

Regular Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Madison_rogue @ Oct 6 2010, 11:49 AM) *

Hey, I'm going by YOUR words, not mine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Oct 10 2010, 09:01 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (Leiafan @ Oct 10 2010, 12:27 AM) *
Hey, I'm going by YOUR words, not mine.

Warned for double posting. Editing your post is the acceptable format, instead of double posting.

Forum Guidelines

9. Avoid double-posting (posting more than once in a row in the same topic)

Blue Harvest Forum Guidelines.

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post Oct 11 2010, 05:10 AM
Post #18

Regular Poster
Group Icon

My apologies, Madison.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Oct 11 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Leiafan @ Oct 10 2010, 11:10 PM) *
My apologies, Madison.

No worries.

And thank you for editing your original post for the sake of keeping on topic. wink.gif

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )

+Quote Post
Corellian Scound...
post Oct 12 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #20

Junior Poster
Group Icon

Group: Padawan
Member No.: 35,806

I wouldn't say that we hate the prequels, (such a strong word). I was very disappointed. For most of us, The Clone Wars was the most expected, and speculated, part of Star Wars. We did not get to see a whole lot of that. Some of the characters could have been developed better. Jar Jar for example. Anakin was... so darn gulible. Like most, I liked ROTS better. However, the lightsaber fight between the Jedi Knights and Sidious did not meet my expectations. You had Knight that fought valiantly during the war, and Sidiuos kills them like in seconds flat? Really?...

From my point of view, it would have been better to see the Jedi Knights fight the Mandalorian armies. Could you imagine that? That would have been so much better.

And why did they have to kill Darth Maul and Qui Gon so darn quickly. Maul is better than Tyranus any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I believe they were such stron characters that just fell flat in the prequels. Now, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of things I liked about the prequels. I must insist that in essence, they were weaker compared to the originals.

Now, just don't me get started on the computer generated animated movies... eyeball.gif

Cheers!

--------------------
"I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe" - Jango Fett

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 11:25 AM