> How did Palpatine know that Padme was dead?, When the Emperor informed Vader
paul73
post Aug 15 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #1

Power Poster
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 1,428

I was just watching ROTS, and I wondered: How was it that Palpatine was able to tell Vader that Padme had died?

1. This scene happened immediately after Padme died from childbirth, making it seem like these events happened simultaneously or within few minutes of eachother.

2. The apparent death of Padme in childbirth must have been a secret, because Palpatine obviously didn't know about the birth of the twins.

3. If Palpatine was just guessing she had died, it would've been quite a gamble, because certainly Vader would've found out about the lie later, and that would've upset the trust between Palpatine and Vader.

It would've made more sense to have had Padme's funeral scene first, and then the scene where Palpatine informs Vader of her death.

...Just as an aside thought: I can see why Vader did not attend Padme's funeral (he did not want to reveal that he was once Anakin Skywalker), but I wonder if he watched the ceremony via interstellar hologram or video.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
master_palin
post Aug 15 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Bronze Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 66

Well my guess is he was just lieing to get vader angry and push him more to the darkside.

And what trust.. he is Sith they dont trust each other. Vader feared his master.

--------------------
Pain Heals
Chicks dig Scars
Glory last forever

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Aug 15 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #3

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Member No.: 884

Palpatine is very strong in the Force, I would think he might've felt Padme die and that was why he was able to tell Anakin what had happened. That's what I've always thought anyway. confusedsmall.gif

--------------------
Let's start at the top shall we? The Sith Wars, Palpatine's Empire, Thrawn's siege, Vong invasion, Second Galactic Civil War, I could go on. Point is the enemy hasn't vanished and we're fighting new people/aliens/species every day.

This has always been a Force War and we, as non-Jedi, will still help rid the universe of their evil. That's on one side of the galaxy, on the other our friends: Luke, Han, Leia, Wedge, Iella, Corran, Mirax, etc are still trying to keep the peace. They've thwarted Abeltoth, but others will soon come their way...and ours.

We shall meet these enemies on both sides of the galaxy head on to defeat them. And when we do meet them, it'll be with the same determination, hope, and perseverance all of us have always shown.

None of this is easy as people/aliens/pets/animals are injured or die every day. But to keep the galaxy safe, we'll do all we can to win, for both sides of the galaxy. To ensure peace, we will keep fighting.

Wish us luck, wish us the Force, and pray for us as we'll need it going up against these formidable foes.

(Have been playing SW for over 17yrs--as of 2014--and I also follow the books. I will continue this role playing until I no longer can.) Also I just wanted to thank all who answered my threads and have chatted with me throughout the years; all of you are fun, awesome, caring, friendly, smart, (etc) and are my good/best friends. I will miss talking to you.

+Quote Post
Grand Moff
post Aug 16 2008, 09:55 AM
Post #4

Holding Vader's leash
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,866

Palpatine was lying at any rate. Remember, he told Vader that he had killed Padme (to sever the connection completely and drive Vader deeper into darkness), even though Padme survived Vaderís attack on Mustafar. I think Palpatine would have said she was dead no matter what.

And I donít think he knew that she was dead, at least not until he learned of the funeral. I doubt he had any spies on Polis Massa, and if he could have felt Padmeís death, then he would have known about the twins and there whereabouts as well.

So basically, he was bulls**tting the whole time.

But paul73 is right, that it was a gamble. If Vader learned the truth, he would be incensed at his master for lying to him. I think if Padme hadnít died when she did, Palpatine would have made it his mission to see to it that she did before she could contact Vader.

And I expect that when Vader first learns about Luke, he knows that he was lied to, and thatís probably why he starts plotting against Palpatine Ė though in the event he realised that time and familiarity had made him used to the chains Palpatine had bound him with, and he couldnít really break free.

I also doubt Vader would have seen the funeral. I think he made a concerted effort to put that whole part of his life behind him; bury Anakin Skywalker and live solely as Darth Vader. Not before Luke showed up did that change.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zideric
post Oct 9 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #5

Junior Poster
Group Icon

Group: Padawan
Member No.: 35,698

Yeah its very strange...
How come Anakin be able to sense Padmť being in danger, but can't sense she's dead?

--------------------
No mercy for the weak, no pity for the dying, no tears for the slain!

+Quote Post
Rebel Clone
post Dec 25 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Junior Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 35,724

As she was dying, anakin truly died, thus palpatine completing his path to the dark side
the last one which is suffering, he will forever grieve her death.

plus you see him grin when he gets mad, so you know hes lying.

like on wookiepedia his master taught him this way,he pretty much took her away from him so he is kind of his slave now

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
―Darth Plagueis

--------------------
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Dec 25 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #7

Standing beside myself to the nth degree
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 1,159

The first question that comes to mind is "how much time passes between Mustafar, and Anakin donning the suit?" Lucas is notorious for blurring the timelines in SW. In ESB, while we're watching Luke train Yoda, and Han & Leia traveling to Bespin, several weeks pass by even though 20 minutes of film elapses (consensus is approximately 3 months according to novelization).

While we're treated to a nearly seamless transition from Mustafar to the operating table, a few hours or even several days could have passed by. If you take Palpatine's history in the EU as any guideline, I find it highly probable that he would intentionally prolong Anakin's suffering to draw him further into the darkside.

By that time I'm certain the GFFA heard of Amidala's death. Palpatine placing the blame on Anakin was just icing on the Empire's inaugural cake. Which, if Palpatine did know about Padme's death, wasn't really lying...from a certain point of view. wink.gif By all means, Anakin really did kill her. He broke her heart (no matter how ludicrous that sounds...IMO).

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. You got a problem with that?

+Quote Post
Bane
post Dec 25 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #8

Flying into a cave full of Mynocks
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Patron
Member No.: 1,106

I always assumed, as many have before me, that Palps simply "felt" Padme's death. Obviously her presence was strong, as Palpatine knew the very reason Anakin yearned to learn the power of the Dark Side was to keep her alive. It was vital that Palpatine kept a close eye on both Anakin and Padme, so he naturally knew. Of course, it could be noted that Palps was just pushing Vader into aggression, doubt and dismay.

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Dec 25 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #9

Standing beside myself to the nth degree
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 1,159

IMO he either lied about, or knew that she died. I don't really believe Palpatine had some special connection with Amidala either.

I'm fairly convinced that the knowledge was widespread by the time Vader inquired. One of the interesting things about the Sith is they're notorious tellers of the almighty truth, even if facts are omitted to suit their own ends (Jedi are even more guilty if they don't outright "lie" first). It would have served Palpatine better if he told Vader that Obi-Wan killed Padme. Wouldn't that flame his hostilities towards the Jedi, and strengthen his resolve to wipe out stragglers that escaped the Jedi Purge? I would think so.

I think Palpatine knew Amidala died, and told Vader the truth.

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. You got a problem with that?

+Quote Post
Rebel Clone
post Feb 10 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #10

Junior Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 35,724

QUOTE (Madison_rogue @ Dec 25 2009, 08:52 AM) *
He broke her heart (no matter how ludicrous that sounds...IMO).

Indeed he did, a great observation. I completely bypassed that he did face her and she say that he was no longer anakin but a sith named Darth Vader. Thus her dying since their lives were tied.

--------------------
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 11:27 AM