> Around the world, News, trivia & fun stuff
Blue Harvest
post Feb 20 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Hoopy frood who knows where her towel is
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Council (Admin)
Member No.: 1

What's going in in your neck of the woods?
What's playing on your radio? music.gif
What's the hottest show on TV? msn_film.gif
What has your countrymen discussing loudly in the cafeteria?
Find something interesting in your local paper today?

A piece of local news inspired this topic... I thought it might be fun to share stories like this or other stuff from around the world.

Sweden, autumn 2006...
Somebody destroyed a statue which was placed in a roundabout.
The statue consisted of a dog made of concrete. The remains of the dog was taken away but curiously enough, shortly thereafter, a wooden dog appeared in its place.

Nobody knows who made it but a local paper got wind of it and published an article which got people talking.

After that "roundabout dogs" started appearing all over the country.
Made out of wood, paper, CDs, snow or whatever people could find. Ordinary people who thought that risking life and limb in order to dash to the center of a roundabout in the middle of the night sounded like fun. They became apart of a guerilla art movement of sorts. smilehuge.gif

At its peak new roundabout dogs could be spotted every day in some places. As soon as one dissapeared another popped up, mysteriously overnight.

Gallery of Roundabout Dogs

You can still spot roundabout art now and then as you drive around the country. I spotted a new one today which reminded me of wanting to start this topic.

*points to the questions at the top of the post*

Got something interesting to share? wink.gif

--------------------
I have a question about voodoo:
If one half of a pair of identical twins has acupuncture... is the other twin in serious trouble?

"Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most." - Ozzy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blue Harvest
post Feb 21 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Ok, I have to double post. smile.gif I spotted this in the news today:

American designer Marc Jacobs is famous for his scarves. His scarves are very expensive but you may have noticed cheap copies of the scarves here and there.

What's new however is that Marc himself copies stuff. As you can see in the picture the famed designers latest scarf is a complete rip off of a Swedish souvenir scarf.

Of all the designs on the world to plagiarize... why this I wonder? Ug-ly! laugh.gif

Article in English

--------------------
If one half of a pair of identical twins has acupuncture... is the other twin in serious trouble?

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Feb 23 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Standing beside myself to the nth degree
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 1,159

QUOTE (Blue Harvest @ Feb 20 2008, 11:03 AM)
What's going in in your neck of the woods?
What's playing on your radio? music.gif
What's the hottest show on TV? msn_film.gif
What has your countrymen discussing loudly in the cafeteria?
Find something interesting in your local paper today?

So many questions Blue! smilehuge.gif

So I guess I should answer these.

Nothing much going on in my neck of the woods, although we have received more snow this season than any else on record. We're currently at 86.7" of snow, and we're expected to get another 6-12" on Monday. We could be looking at a total of over 100" for the season if we keep experiencing the same snowfall rate for the next several weeks. Absolutely crazy. I'm ready for it to be over. Spring...please come!

Radio? Well, I'm not much for the radio stations we have around here. I don't listen to music that much because the stations we have here are absolutely horrid, and they're all owned by the same company. Therefore, their format is much the same. Talk radio is where I'm tuning in lately. Thank God for Air America.

Hottest show? Hard to say. I've been trying to tune in to Terminator, but haven't been very successful. I keep forgetting that it airs on Mondays. Lost is still pretty big, and now that the writer's strike is over we're going to be getting more shows to close out the season. Hopefully I can catch up. Oh...Battlestar Galactica starts it's last season in April. I'll be tuning in to that. It is the best show on television you know. wink.gif

Water cooler talk (you call it cafeteria talk I suppose), is mostly on the primaries and November elections. That can get heated, especially since we've got staunch liberal and conservative supporters at work. I'm hoping Barack Obama wins the Democrat nomination, and then goes on to win in November. I'm not too keen on Hillary, and believe the Republican nominee, John McCain, would more than likely win if Hillary carries the convention. Time will tell, and I'm crossing my fingers. I'm pretty tired of GW, as I believe most of the world pretty much feels the same.

I really don't have much in the local paper that strikes any interest. We did have quite an accident on one of our main highways earlier in the month, and a emergency response report recently came out pointing fingers. People were stuck on the highway for 12 hours, in a horrid snowstorm. The Governor wasn't too happy with the initial response. Seems that the State Police dropped the ball, and didn't react in time to efficiently help all the stranded motorists. Pretty scary stuff. Glad I wasn't driving on the road that day, and only had to be at work that evening.

Otherwise...business as usual. Ready for spring. I hear the geese are flying up North again. Warming soon...and we in Wisconsin are ready. smilehuge.gif

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. You got a problem with that?

+Quote Post
Blue Harvest
post Mar 3 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Come on people! I bet there are tons of stories out there that make you think "this could only happen in [insert your country here]". wink.gif

Thanks for your reply Madison! smile.gif I wonder if that radio problem is universal? Our radio stations only seem to play the same 5 songs over and over. It's driving me nuts! Not to mention when people call in and request one of those songs. Arrrrrrrrrrgh! Are they insane? They only played it 5 minutes ago! It's a conspiracy. I just know it. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
quinlan voss
post Mar 4 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #5

Flying casual in the Tyderium shuttle
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,549

Okay, i've got a good one. I live in Essex in England and our local county council has decided that to save power and money they are going to turn off all the street lights at night to save energy and hopefully lower the crime rate confusedbig.gif confusedbig.gif Is it just me or does that sound completely crazy? They are going to try it certain towns in the area first to see how it pans out. I think Maldon is going to be the first town. Only in England my friends, only in England.

sw-rebel.gif

--------------------

"He will be our agent on their side."
"True, all this is. But dangerous this game is that Quinlan Vos plays—most of all for him. For that which you pretend to be, you may become."
―Tholme and Yoda.

"I am not part of the dark—simply deeper in the shadows."―Quinlan Vos.

"No more games, Lord Tyranus. No more pretending. I know who I am. I've made my choice. My name is Quinlan Vos and I am a Jedi."―Quinlan Vos to Dooku on Saleucami.

+Quote Post
Blue Harvest
post Mar 4 2008, 06:15 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

That sounds nutty. When did the absence of working lights ever lower the crime rate? Are they banking on them saying "Oh no! It's dark out. Can't break into cars when it's dark. Better stay in where it's nice and light."? Honestly! angry.gif

I heard about this other nutty british thing (sorry quinlan smilehuge.gif ) on Sky News recently... Apparently in some regions of the UK they add fluoride to the water. There was some debate as to the benefits to peoples teeth (because that was the upside) was enough to overlook any negative effects that the flouride might have on people's health.

That sounded absolutely barking mad to me. Adding stuff to the water supply without knowing the long term effects?!

--------------------

+Quote Post
quinlan voss
post Mar 4 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #7

Flying casual in the Tyderium shuttle
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,549

QUOTE (Blue Harvest @ Mar 4 2008, 05:15 PM)
That sounds nutty. When did the absence of working lights ever lower the crime rate? Are they banking on them saying "Oh no! It's dark out. Can't break into cars when it's dark. Better stay in where it's nice and light."? Honestly! angry.gif

That is exactly my point. If anything I think there will be more crime because it's going to be darker and easier for them to go about there buisness.

Thats okay Blue some of us (not me honestly tounge.gif) Brits area bit nutty. I heard about the fluoride in the water too. Great at least what ever happens we will have good teeth smilebig.gif tounge.gif I worry about my government sometimes thinking.gif

sw-rebel.gif

--------------------

"He will be our agent on their side."
"True, all this is. But dangerous this game is that Quinlan Vos plays—most of all for him. For that which you pretend to be, you may become."
―Tholme and Yoda.

"I am not part of the dark—simply deeper in the shadows."―Quinlan Vos.

"No more games, Lord Tyranus. No more pretending. I know who I am. I've made my choice. My name is Quinlan Vos and I am a Jedi."―Quinlan Vos to Dooku on Saleucami.

+Quote Post
jedimasterskid
post Mar 4 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #8

Can't bribe me with money, can't shower me with shame.
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 7,317

I think they should just turn every other light off ya know half the emmissions and some lighting for safety

--------------------

Master who trained me- Firey
Wife- Firey(16/3/2008)

Greenangel is legend
For those who don't know....now you know~Zacky Vengence

Death to Twitter/Myspace/Facebook

Jedi-masters.co.uk RIP

+Quote Post
Alderaan Princes...
post Jul 18 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #9

Hurtling towards desert planet in escape pod
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,842

QUOTE (Blue Harvest @ Mar 3 2008, 04:25 AM)
"this could only happen in [insert your country here]". wink.gif

ok, only in America is there supersized strawberries tounge.gif

http://eoediary.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/...merica!.jpg

EDIT: I just got this email with more "only in America things":

Only in America ......do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of
the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in America ......do people order
double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke.

Only in America ......do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters.

Only in America ......do we leave cars
worth thousands of dollars in the
driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.

Only in America ......do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in package s of eight.

Only in America ......do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Only in America ......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

--------------------
BH mom: PrincessLeia*
BH dad: ~R2D2_owns_us_all
My BH best friends: Jedi_Rachel and PrincessLeia*(love you guys!)
My master: jediwannabe

Only in America do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters

I dare you to click here!

+Quote Post
Jedi_Rachel
post Jul 30 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #10

On Yavin in the Ceremonial Temple
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,849

Yeah...I live in America, too....and all of that ir true....and funny smilehuge.gif smilehuge.gif smilehuge.gif

--------------------
I'm a Sith undercover...

+Quote Post
saesee tiin coul...
post Aug 18 2008, 07:07 AM
Post #11

Platinum Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,630

This happened a while ago, and reached worldwide news smilehuge.gif
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A New Zealand man accused of assault with prickly weapon — a hedgehog — has been fined by a court and ordered to pay most of his fine to his teenage victim.

Whakatane District Court was told Thursday that William Singalargh picked up the hedgehog and threw it several yards to hit a 15-year-old boy in the North Island east coast town of Whakatane on Feb. 9.

Police told the court the creature had hit the victim in the leg, causing a large, red welt and several puncture marks. The teen did not need medical treatment.

Actually pretty sad if something like that reaches worldwide wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 03:08 AM