> Finding younglings
Darth Bane
post Aug 1 2009, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Junior Poster
Group Icon

Group: Padawan
Member No.: 1,333

Has there been any official mention of the Jedi procedure for gathering Jedi candidates? Mercs, bounty hunters and other scum call them baby snatchers. Are parents allowed to refuse to give their children to the Jedi? Do the Jedi HAVE to take them to ensure they aren't later stolen by Sith? Has there been any complete description of the procedure, or is it only told of in the Expanded Universe? -Bob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Aug 1 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #2

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 884

I forget where it was but there was something about that Jedi have to take the children whether the parents like it or not. I don't think at the time parents had any say about it, but I'm sure that in the New Order they do. I can't see Luke just taking the children without the parent's consent.

--------------------
Let's start at the top shall we? The Sith Wars, Palpatine's Empire, Thrawn's siege, Vong invasion, Second Galactic Civil War, I could go on. Point is the enemy hasn't vanished and we're fighting new people/aliens/species every day.

This has always been a Force War and we, as non-Jedi, will still help rid the universe of their evil. That's on one side of the galaxy, on the other our friends: Luke, Han, Leia, Wedge, Iella, Corran, Mirax, etc are still trying to keep the peace. They've thwarted Abeltoth, but others will soon come their way...and ours.

We shall meet these enemies on both sides of the galaxy head on to defeat them. And when we do meet them, it'll be with the same determination, hope, and perseverance all of us have always shown.

None of this is easy as people/aliens/pets/animals are injured or die every day. But to keep the galaxy safe, we'll do all we can to win, for both sides of the galaxy. To ensure peace, we will keep fighting.

Wish us luck, wish us the Force, and pray for us as we'll need it going up against these formidable foes.

(Have been playing SW for over 17yrs--as of 2014--and I also follow the books. I will continue this role playing until I no longer can.) Also I just wanted to thank all who answered my threads and have chatted with me throughout the years; all of you are fun, awesome, caring, friendly, smart, (etc) and are my good/best friends. I will miss talking to you.

+Quote Post
Madison_rogue
post Aug 2 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #3

Standing beside myself to the nth degree
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 1,159

QUOTE (Rebel_A96 @ Aug 1 2009, 04:23 PM) *
I forget where it was but there was something about that Jedi have to take the children whether the parents like it or not. I don't think at the time parents had any say about it, but I'm sure that in the New Order they do. I can't see Luke just taking the children without the parent's consent.

I was reading up on that earlier, and really couldn't find anything that said beyond a doubt that the Jedi forcibly took children from their parents. If I remember correctly, Qui-Gon does asks Anakin if he'd like to become a Jedi. He didn't forcibly take him from Shmi. Although since he was much older, this could have made a huge difference...

But I don't see why Jinn wouldn't act any differently with Anakin than other candidate with Force abilities. In fact, I would think if the Order were a bunch of baby snatchers, Qui-Gon wouldn't have had a problem taking him without giving him the choice since he believed Ani was the chosen one.

I can see how the Order and the parents of candidates could misinterpret each other during negotiations for a child. Much like the debacle Madonna experienced when trying to adopt that child from Africa a few years back.

--------------------

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. You got a problem with that?

+Quote Post
Zideric
post Feb 12 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #4

Junior Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 35,698

I do think Jedi just take kids away from their parents. What parent would just give away his child? And children who are being trained to become Jedi are too young to understand their choices. The Jedi could ask the parents to let their child go, but i think they wont stop until theyve convinced the parents to let their child become a Jedi.
Of course Qui-Gon first asked Anakin if he wanted to go. It was just easy because he said yes. If he said no, I think Qui-Gon would have convinced Shmi to give Anakin away, and just dragged Anakin with him, kicking and screaming. Qui-Gon looks like a real good guy, but he's just very persuasive and clever.

--------------------
No mercy for the weak, no pity for the dying, no tears for the slain!

+Quote Post
Darth Bane
post Apr 16 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Junior Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,333

I think I agree with Madison Rouge. If the Jedi took children whether the parents willed it or not, Qui-gonn would certainly not have given Anakin a choice. Especially since he considered the Chosen One to be so important. His dying wish was that he be trained to be a Jedi. I get the impression there are a lot of people out there who don't like the Jedi and what Lucas was brought in his stories. In the 90's the notion started to grow that the bad guys are "cool" and that they're more to be heeded than the heroes. I don't think Qui-gonn is 'clever and manipulative'. I believe he was very honest and decent. He was a Jedi after all. There was nothing in the story to indicate he was deceptive or underhanded. One can make all the guesses they want, but there's nothing to support this... I wish Lucas would put out something definitive to tell us, one way or the other. Maybe the Clone Wars' cartoon will have something some day. -Bob

+Quote Post
Shistavanen Jedi
post Jun 11 2010, 05:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 35,764

Not all Jedi were taken from their parents as babies - if a Jedi found a force-sensitive baby that had been abandoned, then they would take it it (the Shistavanen Jedi Voolvif Monn from the Clone Wars era, was one of these.) In the EU it comes about because in the book Shadow Hunter where the main character had been an employee at the Jedi Temple (not force sensitive himself) who had a kid who was and he lost his job because of it. I think it stems more from the Jedi Code about non-attachmenet than actual deliberately stealing children, that they wouldn't allow parents and other family members to have contact with them. (Would have been interesting to see what would happen if you ended up with siblings being trained as Jedi - would the Jedi lie about their family ties?)

--------------------
Star Wars Character Cafe (Fan Fiction Archive)

Darkside of the Moon (My personal Star Wars Fan Fic Archive)

Dead Winter's Night (my personal website)

+Quote Post
crazy520
post Jun 18 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #7

New Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 35,758

mygolfclubsforsale

Titleist 909 D3 Driver

The Titleist 909 D3 Driver of golf clubs for sale is aimed at the low handicapper who wants to control ball flight, accuracy and workability whilst enjoying unparalled sound and feel ishiner. The 909 D3 driver has a 440CC sized, titanium clubhead in a classic pear shape incorporating a deep clubface.

+Quote Post
Sordane
post Jun 24 2010, 07:57 AM
Post #8

Junior Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 35,770

I would think that the Jedi would have to take them, whether the parents liked it or not. If they didn't, they are allowing the sith free access to them. I think that at the time that Qui-Gon gave Anakin the choice, the Jedi believed the Sith to have been destroyed. If he had known about the sith returning he probably would have been forced to take him....

--------------------
Sordane will always prevail...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 11:24 AM