Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Luke and Mara Jade Question, Just out of curiosity. Possible future spoilers?
LiSing
post Jun 27 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #1

New Poster
Group Icon

Group: Padawan
Member No.: 35,666

Okay, so I'm new. Hi.

I haven't read many Star Wars books (to be exact: just the novelizations of the original trilogy, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Shadows of the Empire, and 4 of the journals - Leia, Amidala, Luke, and Han).

I do have a lot of reference books (The New Essential Guide to Characters helps a lot) and I'm familiar somewhat with Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, Ben, etc. Mainly, I've read a brief summary of what happens after ROTJ.

Can someone please explain to me HOW Luke and Mara Jade were allowed to be married? "I thought love was forbidden for a Jedi". I realize we have a New Republic and New Jedi Order. Is it because Luke changed the rules of the Jedi Order?

I really have no intention of reading every EU Star Wars book, so I don't mind spoilers.

I've also read something about Palpatine coming back to life in the books...and that Mara Jade worked for him?

Someone please explain?

--------------------
May the Force be with you!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
saesee tiin coul...
post Jun 28 2009, 03:13 AM
Post #2

Platinum Poster
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 1,630

First off, wecome smilesmall.gif
Yeah, Luke basically changed the rules to allow marriage.
Palpatine does indeed come back to life (Several times!), the tricky guy cloned himself.
And Mara did work for Palps, but before the destruction of Death Star II. She was an Emperor's Hand, or one of several dark Jedi who worked as a sort of secret police for Palpatine. She got all angry after he died and tried to kill Luke and stuff but they ended up falling in love.

Hope that cleared it up for you a bit, the EU can be a bit of a tangled web. I personally try to stick to the Pre-OT stuff myself.

+Quote Post
LiSing
post Jun 28 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #3

New Poster
Group Icon

Group: Padawan
Member No.: 35,666

Cool cool. Thanks. That does clear it up.

I guess I try to stick with OT-era stuff. I guess I could read a few books after ROTJ...but I'm not sure how I feel about Han/Leia having kids...and it sounds like their relationship got messed up after marriage/kids/etc. I loved them when they had that love-hate thing going on, haha.

--------------------
May the Force be with you!

+Quote Post
Jedi Gurl
post Oct 14 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #4

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,395

If you don't mind I could give a brief explanation. One of my fave sw stories is that of Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade. They are my favorite characters. I can also explain the whole marriage being allowed thing.

First off when the new jedi order was formed most of the students were already adults and some were already married (Like Corran Horn) So it was useless to ban marriages. Also this helps the jedi order to grow because if they can get married they can have children creating new generations of jedi. Though Luke did sometimes struggle with this when he was first married to Mara. He was told by Yoda that jedi weren't supposed to love, he just decided to ignore that rule after all.

Now Mara Jade was taken from her home by the emperor when she was very young (so she knows nothing about her home or family.) She was raised to be an emperor's hand, a sort of extension of the emperor's will. It was through the force that the emperor was able to give her commands from anywhere in the galaxy and for her to be able to report to him. She was sent to kill Luke at Jabba's palace when he went to go rescue Han. She was disguised as a dancer. When Luke was sentenced to the sarlacc pit she tried to get Jabba to allow her to go with them, but fearing she may have been an agent of a rival smuggling group he denied her the chance and demanded she leave his palace immediately.

When the emperor died he sent Mara (through the force) A vision of Vader and Luke turning against him and killing him in cold blood. So she vowed she'd kill Luke skywalker. Five years later she has been working for a man named Talon Karrde and has been promoted to second in command of his smuggling organization. The imperial remnant has put a price on Luke Skywalker to be captured alive. When Mara 'accidently' stumbles acoss Luke's crippled star fighter Karrde takes the advantage and captures Luke. This is how they first meet face to face.

Long story short...
-Karrde doesn't want Mara to kill Luke
-he doesn't know whether to give Luke to the imperials or rebels.
-Luke escapes, Han shows up and so does the empire
-Mara chases Luke they get stuck in the forest.
-They get rescued with the help of Lando and Han
-stuff happens, they battle against a crazy jedi clone.
-jedi clone clones Luke and Mara kills the clone thus fullfilling the emperors last command
-Mara is no longer haunted with the emperor's last command and realizes he was evil all along.
-Luke and Mara become friends ten years later they fall in love, have a son named Ben.

And that's pretty much all you need to know hope it helps. cool.gif

--------------------

My padawan is Alderaan Princess and I'm happily married to Ninja Boy.
Why do people say "Life's a bitch" because if it was a slut it'd be easy.
I'm such a loser my FISH tried to runaway.
Jedi Gurl loves her Ninja Boy
Life is like watching Star Wars, if you spend too much time crying cuz uncle Owen and aunt Beru died, you'll miss the ewok celebration.
Peace, Love, and Red Pants!!

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post Feb 25 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #5

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,613

QUOTE (LiSing @ Jun 27 2009, 11:22 PM) *
Okay, so I'm new. Hi.

I haven't read many Star Wars books (to be exact: just the novelizations of the original trilogy, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Shadows of the Empire, and 4 of the journals - Leia, Amidala, Luke, and Han).

I do have a lot of reference books (The New Essential Guide to Characters helps a lot) and I'm familiar somewhat with Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, Ben, etc. Mainly, I've read a brief summary of what happens after ROTJ.

Can someone please explain to me HOW Luke and Mara Jade were allowed to be married? "I thought love was forbidden for a Jedi". I realize we have a New Republic and New Jedi Order. Is it because Luke changed the rules of the Jedi Order?

Luke married Mara because Timothy Zahn demanded it. LFL Literature approached him to write a couple of books before Del Rey took over the license from Bantam, and he said he would, if Luke married Mara. He said, and I quote, that he encountered a lot of resistance from LFL Literature over that. But, eventually, they agreed.

--------------------
Darth Vader would snap Mara Jade's throat like a twig -- if she was even worth the effort

+Quote Post
Jedi Gurl
post Aug 17 2012, 01:53 AM
Post #6

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,395

I also have come to realize.(from reading the legacy of the force). That the jedi rule of marriage has actually been more tweaked than ignored. Jedi can marry and have families, but they still respect the rule against attachments. They have to know that their duty as a jedi comes before personal attachments. So getting married isn't breaking the rule but refusing to fulfill a task or betraying the jedi order in any way for someone that you love is breaking the rule! tounge.gif

--------------------

My padawan is Alderaan Princess and I'm happily married to Ninja Boy.
Why do people say "Life's a bitch" because if it was a slut it'd be easy.
I'm such a loser my FISH tried to runaway.
Jedi Gurl loves her Ninja Boy
Life is like watching Star Wars, if you spend too much time crying cuz uncle Owen and aunt Beru died, you'll miss the ewok celebration.
Peace, Love, and Red Pants!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 11:07 AM