Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Funny, embarassing langauge mix ups...
The Emerald Twi...
post May 9 2007, 03:38 AM
Post #1

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 3,835

All right, so face it....it's really hard to know more than one langauge fluently... (I'm sure some of you have managed, but I sure can't tounge.gif )...And when you don't know a langauge fluently it is really easy to have an embarassing little mix up about what a word might mean...may be you didn't get quite the right word you wanted....or may be you chose completely the WRONG word to say at the wrong time, not even knowing that you'd made a big humiliating mistake...
Well, whatever the dilemma was, I think it would be really fun to hear about it.... smilehuge.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blue Harvest
post May 9 2007, 10:20 AM
Post #2

Hoopy frood who knows where her towel is
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Council (Admin)
Member No.: 1

One thing that immediately springs to mind is a French dilemma.

An aquaintance of mine had dinner with a French family. The room was boiling so she leaned over to the father of the family and said "je suis chaud".

je suis = I am
chaud = warm

He looked at her a little strangely after that but smiled politely.
She told me about how his attitude towards her had changed after that and I understand why.

The correct way to say "I am warm" in French is "j'ai chaud", which translated word-for-word means "I have warmth".

"Je suis chaud" means "I'm horny". laugh.gif

--------------------
I have a question about voodoo:
If one half of a pair of identical twins has acupuncture... is the other twin in serious trouble?

"Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most." - Ozzy

+Quote Post
Corde
post May 9 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #3

On Corellia in Han's old home
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,844

thats hilarious! tearlaugh.gif tearlaugh.gif

--------------------
The King and his men stole the Queen from her bed, and bound her in her bones. The seas be ours, and by the powers, Where we will, we'll roam.
Yo ho, all hands, hoist the colours high. Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die.
Some men have died and some are alive and others sail on the sea – with the keys to the cage... and the devil to pay we lay to Fiddler's Green. The bell has been raised from it's watery grave... Do you hear it's sepulchral tone? We are a call to all, pay head the squall and turn your sail toward home. Yo ho, all together, Hoist the colours high. Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die.

+Quote Post
The Emerald Twi...
post May 10 2007, 03:12 AM
Post #4

Regular Poster
Group Icon

That was a very funny story! tounge.gif
One embarassing thing that happened to me was in my Spanish class, It was the first day in class and I didn't really know anyone too well, it didn't help that we all had to speak only in Spanish.
I was assigned to sit next to a more popular guy, his assigned spanish name was Philipe....i didn't kow him well at all and I was assigned to be his partner. Our task was to make a list of al of our favorite things...doesn't sound to hard right? I was confident cuz I felt like I could speak in Spanish pretty well. The first thing we had to write was our fav food, mine is shrimp....the Spanish word is Camerón.
We had to outloud read our list to our partner.
" Me gusta Camerón" ( I like shrimp) I said confidently. My partner looked at me funny....
" What?"
"Me gust Camerón"
He cocked an eyebrow....
I smiled " Me gusta camerón" I repeated slowly, trying to be friendly but patient...
He looked awkward..." oh, okay.....hey what does that mean in spanish?"
"It means shrimp..."
He chuckled and nodded...."oh I get it"
Right after i was in my next class i found out that this guys real name was Cameren....I cringed right then, and I felt so awkward the next day in class eyeball.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Capt. Dash'ya
post May 10 2007, 04:07 AM
Post #5

Executing Order 66
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,803

Well, I don't really have a specific emabarresing moment, but I do have a layout of my worst language experiences ever!!! .....

OK so I had this crazy German teacher last year. He was insane! Emerald will testify to that. He would throw markers at us and call us stupid. He'd even teach us German swear words. We we're a pretty average, normal class. But after a year with him, he turned us into an insane class with an evil sense of humor.

I'd always get D's and F's on everything in that class. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a decent grade. I even went to a college student tutor for help, but most unfortunately, he had a severe social problem. You see, I couldn't get him to talk!!! NOT ONE, SINGLE, WORD EVER ESCAPED HIS LIPS!!! *sigh thinking.gif * So anyway, the German teacher decided a conference with me and my parents would help. He told them a load of BS how I'm the only one doing so horribly and it's all my fault because of my lack of study skills. Well, I knew for a fact that no one in that class had a grade higher than a C, and that I was most certainly not the lowest grade in the class!!! My parents didn't believe a word of it luckily, because proof from my other classes said I was getting A's and B's. But the crazy dude got himself fired, and now we have a german teacher who is actually from good 'ole Deutschland! smilehuge.gif

--------------------
He's no good to me dead

+Quote Post
Leia_
post May 10 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #6

protector of the cats
Group Icon

Group: Ghost Jedi (Ex-Mod)
From: ...and when you asked for light, I set myself on fire
Member No.: 344

ouch...

That's a great story, The Emerald Twi'lek
I wonder how I'd feel if I were you blush.gif

--------------------

Did you lose yourself way out there? Did you get to be a star?
Have I told you that I loved you today?
And don't it make you sad to know that life is more than who we are?

+Quote Post
The Emerald Twi...
post May 11 2007, 03:12 AM
Post #7

Regular Poster
Group Icon

oh yes Dash'ya, I could and will testify that the German teacher was indeed a madman.....he was wacked, and he tried to start a war between his German Class and my Spanish class....it was a little ....strange. He called me and every other Spanish student 'the Spaniards'...weird huh?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Capt. Dash'ya
post May 11 2007, 03:40 AM
Post #8

Executing Order 66
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,803

Well, he was high off coffee, remember? He told us that he gets up at like, 3:00am every morning and drinks several pots of coffee. Then he would make more and bring it to school. I swear he was a creeper.

--------------------
He's no good to me dead

+Quote Post
The Emerald Twi...
post May 11 2007, 03:46 AM
Post #9

Regular Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Capt. Dash'ya @ May 10 2007, 09:40 PM)
Well, he was high off coffee, remember? He told us that he gets up at like, 3:00am every morning and drinks several pots of coffee. Then he would make more and bring it to school. I swear he was a creeper.

Coffee high....? oh yeah, he always shook madly from the effects of the caffiene!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grand Moff
post Jun 11 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #10

Holding Vader's leash
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,866

I heard this one form a friend of mine once.

A Danish exchange-student on his first day in Germany had been invited home to a German family. But he had become a little unsure as to whether their agreement was, that he could sleep in their house or whether he had to find a hotel.

So, in his best German, he asks them: “Muss ich hier schlaffen?”
To which the family, a little puzzled, answered: “Nein.”

The explanation is, that in Danish the sentence ‘can I sleep here?’ is: Mĺ jeg sove her?
The word ‘mĺ’ is the same as the English ‘may’ and the German ‘muss.’

So he had made a literal translation into quite acceptable German. Except for the fact that in German the sentence doesn’t mean ‘can I sleep here?’ but ‘do I have to sleep here?’

And the German family of course was much too nice to force him into sleeping in their house. smilehuge.gif

I hope they cleared up the confusion before he had to go searching for a hotel.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bane
post Jun 12 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #11

Flying into a cave full of Mynocks
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Patron
Member No.: 1,106

English is full of embarassing translations. Because slang is rife (much of it derived from other languages) it can be easily mistaken for offense. I remember countless times I'll be abroad and foreign residents or tourist workers will attempt to speak English. They do very well at it too, as English is very hard to learn as many of you know, but many of the words deviate from our pronounciation. Cockney rhyming slang (Apples And Pears = Stairs, Google it for more information) is common in England too, more so in London. A common slang derivitive I use is by shorting words. For example, sometimes I tend to say "t'handle" rather than "the handle". The T in my way of saying it is almost silent, and it's hard to explain without me actually saying it. wink.gif

+Quote Post
JediWitch
post Jun 13 2007, 01:32 AM
Post #12

On Endor in the Ewok village
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,111

I think the most embarrassing thing about languages for me is how people around her mispronounce words, even when they're used as town names! whatever.gif Around here, Versailles is "Ver-sigh," and Athens is "A-thens". I think i even heard a person call California "Califor-ni-ay" tounge.gif

--------------------
(Outdated!) Fanfiction deviantART
My Nerd Fandoms- Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lion King, Avatar ...and Monorail Cat :P

(From Clone Wars movie ad)
Anakin: I could use a little help!
Obi-Wan: Did you get shot down again?
Ahsoka: Yes!

+Quote Post
Leia_
post Jun 13 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #13

protector of the cats
Group Icon

Group: Ghost Jedi (Ex-Mod)
From: ...and when you asked for light, I set myself on fire
Member No.: 344

Not mine, but too funny not to talk about it.

So, imagine Sofia and the place I live in. There are about 20,000 students living here. Only students. From all over Bulgaria. And not only.
This story is about the roommate of a friend of mine. Said girl is from Serbia and the first year she came around she didn't quite know the language. But like German and say Flemish, the languages are quite similar, so basicly she gets along quite well...

Untill this happens.
She is at this party and is talking to a guy. At a certain point she asks the guy "tuk pravite li svirki", to which the guy says "da/yes" and asks her if she likes that. She says "oh, yeah pretty much so!!!!!" ..... The guy looks at her funny and she realises she must have said something wrong. So she leaves and goes to a friend of hers to ask what just happened.

Now ... let's revise the conversation.
What the above sentence means in Bulgarian (and what the guy heard) is "do you make blowjobs here". She says "oh, yes, I love them ....."
When she realised what she just said she just ran off the party. In Serbian, my friend says, the word "svirka" doesn't mean "blow job", it means a band playing in a club. (the word comes from the verb "sviria" - "to play an instrument"). She just asked if bands go sing in clubs in Bulgaria. smilesmall.gif

Ouch smilesmall.gif
Needless to say she didn't see that guy again. smilesmall.gif

--------------------

Did you lose yourself way out there? Did you get to be a star?
Have I told you that I loved you today?
And don't it make you sad to know that life is more than who we are?

+Quote Post
saesee tiin coul...
post Jul 22 2007, 05:55 AM
Post #14

Platinum Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,630

In Maori "Wh" makes an "F" sound so heaps of tourists that come over here look shocked at place names like Whakatane and Whakapapa when they hear them.

It's funny to watch though... satisfied.gif

+Quote Post
Blue Harvest
post Jul 25 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #15

Hoopy frood who knows where her towel is
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Council (Admin)
Member No.: 1

Elton John was on the radio just now which reminded me of a mix up...

When I was little I was absolutely convinced that the chorus to Elton's song "Tiny dancer" went:

Hold me closer Tony Danza!

In my defence it still sounds that way to me.

laugh.gif tearlaugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I have a question about voodoo:
If one half of a pair of identical twins has acupuncture... is the other twin in serious trouble?

"Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most." - Ozzy

+Quote Post
*LeiaOrgana*
post Jul 25 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #16

May the 4th, be with you!
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 952

QUOTE (Blue Harvest @ Jul 25 2007, 04:00 PM)
Hold me closer Tony Danza!

In my defence it still sounds that way to me.

laugh.gif  tearlaugh.gif  laugh.gif

You too? shocked.gif smilehuge.gif

--------------------
Carol Hathaway: You're a med student?
Abby Lockhart: What can I say? I crossed over to the Dark Side.

a cool banner Liyina made for me | George Lucas in Love

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 03:08 AM