> The Thrawn trilogy was fun
Leiafan
post Oct 5 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #1

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 2,613

I liked the Thrawn trilogy when it first came out. At the time (the early 1990s), the possibility of new SW movies was by no means guaranteed, at least as far as I knew.

In actuality, Lucas had been planning to make them for some time. What spurred him to actually begin working on them was the release of the movie "Jurassic Park" -- Lucas, who incidentally took the reins of the movie over from his buddy Spielberg when Spielberg had to leave to start filming "Schindler's List" in Poland, decided that the special effects were advanced enough so that he could make the additional movies as he envisioned them.

But I digress. I was very excited when the Thrawn trilogy was announced, in a small article in my local newspaper. Entertainment section, of course. And, conveniently enough, I worked in a bookstore at the time. When the first hardback arrived, I looked through it. I recall that it was deliberately priced very low, so as to maximize the chances that it would sell well. It did. The store quickly sold out of the relatively few copies it had ordered, and so had to re-order.

Anyway, I bought a copy and read through it pretty quickly. I admit, there were some extremely dull parts that I skimmed. There were many more such parts in the subsequent two novels. But overall, I liked it. I was glad to see Luke, Leia and Han again. And Chewie. And the droids. And many of the supporting players. No Vader or Emperor, of course, being as the books were set five years after the events of ROTJ.

Mara Jade and Thrawn were introduced as characters in the first book, and (believe it or not) I liked them well enough. I didn't find them obnoxious, and thought they were pretty well-integrated into the story. The story itself was fairly interesting. Still, what I liked most was the interaction between the movie characters. Timothy Zahn did them justice for the most part.

So, I thought the books were fun, at least for the time they were released.

--------------------
Darth Vader would snap Mara Jade's throat like a twig -- if she was even worth the effort
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Oct 6 2010, 01:02 AM
Post #2

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Member No.: 884

Yes, they are fun books to read. Oddly enough I just finished reading them awhile back and now am on Vision of the Future. But yes, definitely a good read or reread.

--------------------
Let's start at the top shall we? The Sith Wars, Palpatine's Empire, Thrawn's siege, Vong invasion, Second Galactic Civil War, I could go on. Point is the enemy hasn't vanished and we're fighting new people/aliens/species every day.

This has always been a Force War and we, as non-Jedi, will still help rid the universe of their evil. That's on one side of the galaxy, on the other our friends: Luke, Han, Leia, Wedge, Iella, Corran, Mirax, etc are still trying to keep the peace. They've thwarted Abeltoth, but others will soon come their way...and ours.

We shall meet these enemies on both sides of the galaxy head on to defeat them. And when we do meet them, it'll be with the same determination, hope, and perseverance all of us have always shown.

None of this is easy as people/aliens/pets/animals are injured or die every day. But to keep the galaxy safe, we'll do all we can to win, for both sides of the galaxy. To ensure peace, we will keep fighting.

Wish us luck, wish us the Force, and pray for us as we'll need it going up against these formidable foes.

(Have been playing SW for over 17yrs--as of 2014--and I also follow the books. I will continue this role playing until I no longer can.) Also I just wanted to thank all who answered my threads and have chatted with me throughout the years; all of you are fun, awesome, caring, friendly, smart, (etc) and are my good/best friends. I will miss talking to you.

+Quote Post
Master
post Oct 6 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #3

Frozen in Carbonite on Slave 1
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,532

I adore the Thrawn trilogy. In fact, Thrawn is one of the most interesting EU characters.

--------------------
THE FOLLOW-UP FORUM to BH:
blue-harvest.co.uk

Married to anya_skywalker

"It is known that there are infinite number of worlds, simply because there is infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so average population of all planets in Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that population of whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of deranged imagination."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master was here (12.10.16)

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post Oct 8 2010, 04:53 AM
Post #4

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Thrawn was entertaining.

--------------------
Darth Vader would snap Mara Jade's throat like a twig -- if she was even worth the effort

+Quote Post
jedimasterskid
post Oct 8 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Can't bribe me with money, can't shower me with shame.
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,317

The Thrawn Trilogy are the best Star wars books ever. No contest (even though my personal fav are the Darth Bane books wink.gif ). I remember reading them when I was 13 and that was 12 years ago. I might have to go out and buy them and re-read them. I hear that all 3 are in one big book now is that true?

--------------------

Master who trained me- Firey
Wife- Firey(16/3/2008)

Greenangel is legend
For those who don't know....now you know~Zacky Vengence

Death to Twitter/Myspace/Facebook

Jedi-masters.co.uk RIP

+Quote Post
Leiafan
post Oct 8 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #6

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Probably. I've seen many of the trilogies and duologies become one big book after a while.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jedi Gurl
post Nov 13 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #7

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,395

OMG, I love the thrawn trilogy,hands down my fave. It is what first got me into reading the expanded universe. I remember being thirteen years old and I had a ton of homework one day My mom told me that if I finished all my homework she'd have a surprise for me when she got home. When I saw that the surprise was three thick sw books I was less than enthusiastic. But before I knew it, I was hooked into the books. i was especially intrigued by Mara Jade. She has much become my fave character over the years.

--------------------

My padawan is Alderaan Princess and I'm happily married to Ninja Boy.
Why do people say "Life's a bitch" because if it was a slut it'd be easy.
I'm such a loser my FISH tried to runaway.
Jedi Gurl loves her Ninja Boy
Life is like watching Star Wars, if you spend too much time crying cuz uncle Owen and aunt Beru died, you'll miss the ewok celebration.
Peace, Love, and Red Pants!!

+Quote Post
Bith Shuffler
post Nov 18 2010, 09:32 PM
Post #8

Steel Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 35,787

And it was so artistically done.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 11:16 AM