> Luke in the books
bradpinder
post Apr 25 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #1

New Poster
Group Icon

Group: Padawan
Member No.: 10,993

I hav read Bertayl and Bloodlines and am in the middle of I, Jedi and Tempest and well am I the only one who has noticed that he seems very dull, I dont mean he's not interesting but he's just so unpassionate and passive in all the books, he's like an all powerful Grand Master Jedi but he just seems like he's trying not to let it be known.

--------------------
Im the first one I laugh at, and the last one I take seriously.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Callista Min
post Apr 25 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #2

On Bespin in Lando's dining room
Group Icon

Group: Jedi
Member No.: 4,754

I haven't read all the EU books, I agree that Luke does seem very passive in many that I've read. It's sort of to be expected in "I, Jedi", given that it's Corran's story (and he definitely likes to live on the edge). I wonder if some authors thought that making Luke less active was a way of showing him as more mature, as the wise and stable mentor to the next generation of Jedi?

--------------------
This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.
--Princess Leia, Star Wars: A New Hope

+Quote Post
bradpinder
post Apr 25 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #3

New Poster
Group Icon

I dont know, I just seem him as a passionate spiritful warrior in the movies, now yes he has calmed down in ROTJ but he still kept this dangerous edge, in the books he just seems too tame to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Callista Min
post Apr 25 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

I'm sure you will find many who agree with that.
IMO Luke was just starting to get interesting in RotJ. smilesmall.gif
Have you tried Truce at Bakura or The Courtship of Princess Leia? Both books take place shortly after Endor and have quite a bit of Luke action.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bradpinder
post Apr 25 2008, 06:54 PM
Post #5

New Poster
Group Icon

I'll give them a try thanks!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jedi Gurl
post Aug 21 2008, 08:01 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,395

I haven't noticed before, but now that I think about it he does seem that way. except for when he was falling for Mara in VOTF of in other books when he's with Mara. I think it might be because Mara is soo Firey and active that Luke just steps aside and leaves it up to her and the future generations. tounge.gif

--------------------

My padawan is Alderaan Princess and I'm happily married to Ninja Boy.
Why do people say "Life's a bitch" because if it was a slut it'd be easy.
I'm such a loser my FISH tried to runaway.
Jedi Gurl loves her Ninja Boy
Life is like watching Star Wars, if you spend too much time crying cuz uncle Owen and aunt Beru died, you'll miss the ewok celebration.
Peace, Love, and Red Pants!!

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Aug 22 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 884

I think he's fine, in some Legacy books it's a bit unnerving, but other than that his character is all right.

--------------------
Let's start at the top shall we? The Sith Wars, Palpatine's Empire, Thrawn's siege, Vong invasion, Second Galactic Civil War, I could go on. Point is the enemy hasn't vanished and we're fighting new people/aliens/species every day.

This has always been a Force War and we, as non-Jedi, will still help rid the universe of their evil. That's on one side of the galaxy, on the other our friends: Luke, Han, Leia, Wedge, Iella, Corran, Mirax, etc are still trying to keep the peace. They've thwarted Abeltoth, but others will soon come their way...and ours.

We shall meet these enemies on both sides of the galaxy head on to defeat them. And when we do meet them, it'll be with the same determination, hope, and perseverance all of us have always shown.

None of this is easy as people/aliens/pets/animals are injured or die every day. But to keep the galaxy safe, we'll do all we can to win, for both sides of the galaxy. To ensure peace, we will keep fighting.

Wish us luck, wish us the Force, and pray for us as we'll need it going up against these formidable foes.

(Have been playing SW for over 17yrs--as of 2014--and I also follow the books. I will continue this role playing until I no longer can.) Also I just wanted to thank all who answered my threads and have chatted with me throughout the years; all of you are fun, awesome, caring, friendly, smart, (etc) and are my good/best friends. I will miss talking to you.

+Quote Post
mara jade
post Aug 22 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #8

Gazing at the twin suns on Tatooine
Group Icon

Group: Ghost Jedi (Ex-Mod)
Member No.: 405

i do agree that he is too passive in the books and especially in the LOTF. at moments his characterization was really unrealistic, with what we know about him from the movies in mind confused.gif

--------------------
A day without mara jade is like a day without sunshine.

+Quote Post
Zee Zee
post Oct 22 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #9

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,429

For me the turning point in Luke's (EU) life occurs around 10-11 years after A New Hope - upto this point Luke was literally the only Jedi in the galaxy, the sole remainder of a legacy vanquished by the Empire, and as such he alone carried the "light". But without mentors, without anyone else to guide him and keep him in the "light", Luke's previously reckless path (i.e. rushing to Cloud City in Episode V against the warnings of Yoda and Obi-Wan) will lead him into further trouble.

In Dark Empire Luke is confronted by the reborn Emperor and lacking proper guidance, he succumbs to the Dark Side in a false reasoning that he could control it. It is only through Leia, his sister, that Luke is brought back into the "light" and begins his quest to search for other force-sensitives and build his Jedi Academy.

Fully understanding the power and lure of the Dark Side and his own lucky escape from its clutches is what, IMO, calmed Luke and gave him a sense of maturity. Similar I believe to Qui-Gon's attitudes in Episode I, and those of Yoda in the prequel films.

As a Jedi Grand Master, Luke had to be seen to be a leader and behave like a leader, he was also more diplomatic in his actions, but at the same time he had to be calm, collected and in control. All of his temptous behaviour as a youth was now both a thing of the past and a lesson for his own students.

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Jan 5 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Old topic I know, but I just finished reading Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor and I thought it was horrible, but anyway Luke or Leia weren't written well in it at all. They were way too held back, Leia wasn't her "get this giant walking carpet out of my way" person. The author tried way to hard and failed on both of them.

Glad I got this with my own money as, yes--don't hit me--hides--I'm giving this book away with M. Falcon as well.

--------------------
Let's start at the top shall we? The Sith Wars, Palpatine's Empire, Thrawn's siege, Vong invasion, Second Galactic Civil War, I could go on. Point is the enemy hasn't vanished and we're fighting new people/aliens/species every day.

This has always been a Force War and we, as non-Jedi, will still help rid the universe of their evil. That's on one side of the galaxy, on the other our friends: Luke, Han, Leia, Wedge, Iella, Corran, Mirax, etc are still trying to keep the peace. They've thwarted Abeltoth, but others will soon come their way...and ours.

We shall meet these enemies on both sides of the galaxy head on to defeat them. And when we do meet them, it'll be with the same determination, hope, and perseverance all of us have always shown.

None of this is easy as people/aliens/pets/animals are injured or die every day. But to keep the galaxy safe, we'll do all we can to win, for both sides of the galaxy. To ensure peace, we will keep fighting.

Wish us luck, wish us the Force, and pray for us as we'll need it going up against these formidable foes.

(Have been playing SW for over 17yrs--as of 2014--and I also follow the books. I will continue this role playing until I no longer can.) Also I just wanted to thank all who answered my threads and have chatted with me throughout the years; all of you are fun, awesome, caring, friendly, smart, (etc) and are my good/best friends. I will miss talking to you.

+Quote Post
Tyrena
post Jan 5 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #11

Wash at 30C, do not iron
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 1,555

Oh shoot, I've been waiting for that books for ages thinking.gif How bad is it? I-want-to-use-it-as-a-kitty-litter-bad, or just bad-but-can-be-read-if-you-have-nothing-else-to-do ?

--------------------
Burma!

Behind every gifted woman there's often a rather talented cat

To err is human, to purr feline

Cats don't come when they are called, they take the message and get back to you later

Your home is where your cat is

The shortest math joke ever: let epsilon be less than zero...

+Quote Post
Rebel_A96
post Jan 5 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Well I meant in a sense where the bad guy does stuff that's bad, but isn't very scary or frightening at all. When you read some books you get the feeling that Thrawn or the Vong are really scary and ruthless, with this character you don't get that and it was sometimes confusing to read. That's why I didn't like it at all.

This is if you want to of course, I can send it to you by package. That way you don't have to wait for it. The only thing I did with it was wite out a few things I wrote down b/c at the time I didn't know I was going to give it away. It's up to you as I said. smilesmall.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tyrena
post Jan 7 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #13

Wash at 30C, do not iron
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master (Mod)
Member No.: 1,555

Aww thanks hon, but it will cost you loads to ship it to UK. It comes out around 20th January in here, so it's not a problem, I can wait. I just wanted to hear someone's opinion on it to make sure it's worth buying (and it seems now it's not). Why people can't write a decent SW book is beyond me thinking.gif

--------------------
Burma!

Behind every gifted woman there's often a rather talented cat

To err is human, to purr feline

Cats don't come when they are called, they take the message and get back to you later

Your home is where your cat is

The shortest math joke ever: let epsilon be less than zero...

+Quote Post
gotenx
post Jan 9 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 22,211

Where can I read about Luke going to the darkside with an emporer clone? They referred to it a lot in later books, but I dont know where to find that original story.

--------------------
Evil will always prevail, because good is dumb.

+Quote Post
Master
post Jan 9 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #15

Frozen in Carbonite on Slave 1
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,532

gotenx
It's not a book, it's a comics called "Dark Empire"
You can read about it here.

--------------------
THE FOLLOW-UP FORUM to BH:
blue-harvest.co.uk

Married to anya_skywalker

"It is known that there are infinite number of worlds, simply because there is infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so average population of all planets in Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that population of whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of deranged imagination."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master was here (12.10.16)

+Quote Post
gotenx
post Jan 9 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 22,211

Never knew that. Thanks.

--------------------
Evil will always prevail, because good is dumb.

+Quote Post
alsental
post Jan 21 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #17

New Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 14,547

I agree with some of you here. luke is a stiff but. Hes so cold and boring. When i read the jedi academy trilogy, i thought about giving up because of luke!!

+Quote Post
Jedi Gurl
post Jan 22 2009, 05:08 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,395

I said earlier on this topic that I agree, but I just finished reading Inferno and I must say Luke somewhat comes back to his old character, only a little bit, but still I feel Luke holds much promise for the future of these books. This next part may be a bit spoilerish. . . I think fighting a new sith is really bringing out his edge now. tounge.gif

--------------------

My padawan is Alderaan Princess and I'm happily married to Ninja Boy.
Why do people say "Life's a bitch" because if it was a slut it'd be easy.
I'm such a loser my FISH tried to runaway.
Jedi Gurl loves her Ninja Boy
Life is like watching Star Wars, if you spend too much time crying cuz uncle Owen and aunt Beru died, you'll miss the ewok celebration.
Peace, Love, and Red Pants!!

+Quote Post
Callista Min
post Jun 8 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

I actually liked Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor a lot (except for the simile overload...but that was explained in the end). I thought the depiction of all the main characters, especially Luke, was very strong.

--------------------

+Quote Post
darthnecrum
post Jun 12 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #20

Regular Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 431

He wasn't too bad in the Thrawn trilogy.

Maybe the authors don't want to do too much with Luke out of respect for the original story line. Like he's too sacred to work with or sthg.

--------------------
I HAD a bad feeling about this, but now I take ZOLOFT :D

Married to: The Dark Side

Happy to be an Irregular Poster/Lurker

Don't you die on me BH

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 03:15 AM