post Feb 3 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #41

Hoopy frood who knows where her towel is
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Council (Admin)
Member No.: 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_capture_the_castle

Hahaha, I can well imagine the reaction to Richards performance. laugh.gif

Right now I'm watching a fantasy series that's really grown in my esteem.
It starts out being more cliché than... well... something that's very VERY cliché. And it actually continues to steal shamelessly from other fantasy, myths and lore as the story continues. Even so, I'm enjoying the show very much. msn_yes.gif

Legend of the Seeker
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844653/

--------------------
I have a question about voodoo:
If one half of a pair of identical twins has acupuncture... is the other twin in serious trouble?

"Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most." - Ozzy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ceridwen
post Feb 3 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #42

Self-employed Nerf Herder
Group Icon

Group: Ghost Jedi Patron (Ex-Mod)
Member No.: 742

I've just started watching "The Mayor of Casterbridge" Ciarán Hinds (who played Captain Wenthworth in Persuasion) plays the lead. I've only watched about ten minutes and I'm already disgusted by his character. It is SUCH A CONTRAST toi his character in Persuaison, it's freaking unpleasant. Good acting again, I suppose... but geez confusedsmall.gif

--------------------
“Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong"

+Quote Post
Ceridwen
post Feb 4 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #43

Group Icon

OK, "The Mayor of Casterbridge" and another Australien mini-series called "Jessica" was about the most deppressing tv-series I have ever watched. sadbig.gif confusedsmall.gif

EDIT: I think I may be suffering from a serious condition.... Costime/Period-Drama obsession/escape from reality

Well anyway, I've been busy, in addition to the two I mentioned above I have also watched Wives and Daughters. I liked it very much especially the ending which was one of the best endings I have ever seen. smilesmall.gif I'll soon be finished with Little Dorrit... A very different kind of period drama,but I really like it so far smilesmall.gif

EDIT 2: Jackie, you said that someone you know composed the music for Little Dorrit? The music as fantastic! msn_love.gif Do you know if there ever was a soundtack released?

--------------------
“Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong"

+Quote Post
Blue Harvest
post Feb 8 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #44

Group Icon

Yesterday I watched one of the worst costume dramas I've ever seen. And it sounded so promising too... sad.gif

Dorian Gray http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235124/
After the novel by Oscar Wilde.

The novel is such a classic and it's not been filmed recently, so I was excited to see this adaptation. It has Ben Barnes, who played Prince Caspian in Narnia in the lead role, Colin Firth and Ben Chaplin in two other key roles.

I would normally never use such a cliché about a other movie... here it fits so perfectly it can't be denied: Oscar Wilde must be rolling over in his grave.

Ben Barnes was so awful... so very very painful to watch that the already gothic tale took on a whole other layer of the macabre.

Colin Firth managed to breathe some life and dignity into the movie. And to be fair, Barnes' performance could have been coaxed into something half-way decent by a skilled director or cut into something not quite so embaressing by an editor... Sadly, none of these people seemed to know what they were doing either.

Avoid! At all costs! msn_no.gif

--------------------
If one half of a pair of identical twins has acupuncture... is the other twin in serious trouble?

+Quote Post
Ceridwen
post Feb 8 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #45

Group Icon

POST NR.1

Blue: Aww such a shame..sad.gif Thanks for the warning. Such a shame... especially that Colin Firth should be involved in such a project. It reminds me of his performance in that horrible film called "What a Girl Wants"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286788/

WHAT was he thinking!? But there is a scene in that film which I'm not sure if I love or hate.... but Colin dances around the room in leather pants confusedsmall.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb9y3P4ZItA

Anyway, I did the HORRIBLE mistake of watching the Sally Lockhart mysteries, starring Billie Piper and Matt Smith. O MY GOSH! It was so bad I can barely put it into words.... confusedsmall.gif sad.gif

I have watched Little Dorrit, I capture the castle and I loved them both. I was a little surprised to see Henry Tomas among all those Brits. He felt sort of out of place laugh.gif

I also watched Tess of the DUrbervilles (the movie) Not sure about that one...Maybe the mini-series is better??

Watching all these period dramas I've noticed two things:

1. Andrew Davies seems to have written the screenplay to pretty much all of them. Why is it always him? Not that he's not good.. He's FAB (most of the time) it's just.. gets a little tiresome after a while. confusedsmall.gif I mean, the must be other screen writers out there who could do it well too?

2. The same actors pop up here and there in these dramas which canbe a little weird if you've just watched them play another character tounge.gif

Justine Waddell played Molly Gibson in "Wives and Daughters"

And Tess in "Tess of the D'Urbervilles"

Richard Lumsden played Edward Ferrars in "Sense & Sensibility" (1995)

and Midshipman Hether in "Hornblower"

Romola Garai plays "Emma" (2009) and also Cassandra in "I capture the castle"

Further on she is in another film called amazing Grace together with Ioan Gruffudd who plays the lead role in "Hornblower"

Then we have Sinéad Cusack who was in both "North & South" and "I capture the castle"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ceridwen
post Feb 8 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #46

Group Icon

POST NR 2 (scroll up and read POST NR 1 first please)

Then there is Matthew MacFadyen obviously... nuff said tounge.gif
Prideand Prejudice and Little Dorrit

Rosamund Pike played Jane Bennett in Pride and Prejudice (2005) and Lady Harriet Cumnor in Wives & Daughters

Ciarán Hinds played Captain Wenthworth in Persuasion (1995) and the Mayorin The Mayoir of Casterbridge

JJ Feild played Henrey Tilney in Northhanger Abbey and Frederick Garland in "The Sally Lockhart Mysteries"

Oh, I guess I could go on forever.... tounge.gif

This is of course a common thing, but it feels weird when you watch so many different period dramas in a short period of time winksmall.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blue Harvest
post Feb 12 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #47

Group Icon

Nice compilation. msn_yes.gif

It makes sense that typecasting goes on in all kinds of genres. Even costume drama. I mean, how many times have we seen Bruce Willis save the world, Robert De Niro play a mafioso or Bela Lugosi play a vampire? vampire.gif
Not quite as many times as Hollywood has decided to make yet another embaressing Robin Hood movie, but close enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lukes secret bro...
post Feb 21 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #48

Exploring cloning facilities on Kamino
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master Patron (Mod)
Member No.: 1,214

I've no idea about a Little Dorrit soundtrack Ceri, there's nothing on Amazon at all, i suspect there won't be, which is a shame because it's amazing music sad.gif

(i love What a girl wants blush.gif blush.gif but the leather trousers bit makes me laugh every time laugh.gif )

--------------------
<center>

My Blair and Bush bashing site

Bane will return!

I love my cello!

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.
George Bush has the brain of an amoeba

</center>

+Quote Post
Ceridwen
post Aug 21 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #49

Group Icon

Has anyone seen/ hear of "Kidnapped" A novel by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson?

The central character is a young but resourceful man named David Balfour. whose parents have recently died and who is out to make his way in the world. He is given a letter by the minister of Essendean, Mr. Campbell, to be delivered to the ominous House of Shaws in Cramond, where David's uncle, Ebenezer Balfour, lives.

Planning to cheat him of his inheritance, David’s uncle had him kidnapped and sold into slavery.

Several adaptations have been made, but which one to watch? I've come across the adaptation from 1978 and have started watching it, but is it the best?? Hmm??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ceridwen
post Apr 3 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #50

Group Icon

I only have two words

Downton Abbey! w00t.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lukes secret bro...
post Apr 17 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #51

Exploring cloning facilities on Kamino
Group Icon

Group: Jedi Master Patron (Mod)
Member No.: 1,214

That was on recently here I think, with Maggie Smith? I meant to watch it but never got round to it sad.gif

--------------------
<center>

My Blair and Bush bashing site

Bane will return!

I love my cello!

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.
George Bush has the brain of an amoeba

</center>

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 09:26 PM